Hello from Wiltshire

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
Sukhoiboi
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: WILTSHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Hello from Wiltshire

Post by Sukhoiboi »

Hi all,
I’m Steve and I have a cactus addiction problem, I’m happy with the addiction but the problem is I need more.
I’ve been quite keen for year but when I started a few months back in growing from seed the addiction bit hard, I’ve never got so much joy from such a simple process. I hope you all get that same kick, one of my problems is that my ‘drug’ of choice is the Ariocarpus and I fear that being rather old already I may not see my babies reach flowering size. The journey is its own reward though.
I’m very glad to be part of this wonderful hobby and to meet you lovely people.I feel better now that I’ve owned up, that must be how AA works.
TomInTucson
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Hello from Wiltshire

Post by TomInTucson »

Although I'm not an expert on growing Ariocarpus, I've been growing these from seed with about the same amount of success as the other similar cactus species I've tried. Although my oldest seedling is 7 years old, it hasn't yet bloomed, but one of the most competent growers I know (Miles Anderson) has stated that even though they are slow, you should expect them to bloom in about 7 years.

Yes, growing from seed is quite addictive, but it seems harmless enough thus far. Welcome!
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Duplicate
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Steve
Worry not.
The addiction is not treatable. But you'll have to live with it. We other addicts have learnt to accept it.
Enjoy your plants. That helps.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Sukhoiboi
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE

Post by Sukhoiboi »

Thank you guys, I’m reconciled to having to live with it, just to make things interesting I’m thinking of having a go at Pseudolithos , if I can find a source of seed in the U.K.
Any leads would be very welcome
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Sukhoiboi wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:24 pm I’ve been quite keen for year but when I started a few months back in growing from seed the addiction bit hard, I’ve never got so much joy from such a simple process. I hope you all get that same kick, one of my problems is that my ‘drug’ of choice is the Ariocarpus and I fear that being rather old already I may not see my babies reach flowering size. The journey is its own reward though.
I don't know how old you are, but Ariocarpus agavoides flowers in about six or seven years, grown from seed. I think Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus should not take much more time too. The others, however...