Who ate all the pies - Lophophora

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Who ate all the pies - Lophophora

Post by Tina »

Some plants don't appreciate a good drink.
My Lophophora fricci was looking lovely until I got a bit heavy handed with the watering can, I have just turned it round so I can't see the split, at least lophs are fast growers.
loph fricci.jpg

Loph diffusa.jpg
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Re: Who ate all the pies - Lophophora

Post by DaveW »

Don't worry Tina. I have split them in the past almost to the crown and within about two years or so the split disappeared down the base. Whilst Lophophora's don't seem to gain size fast they do grow quicker than people think since they "concertina" at the base.

I was given one somebody had used double strength insecticide on and burnt all the epidermis, but in a couple of years or so it was pristine again all the scotched part disappearing to the bark at the base.

The funny thing with cacti splitting due to taking up excess water is I have never known one rot because of it and obviously Lophophora's don't have the pronounced ribs other cacti do to expand and contract by.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

Is this also a fricii, though not as well groomed as yours?
Bought as a williamsii but it doesn't offset and grow flat like my other williamsii.
It also has white flowers.
IMG_4467a.jpg
DaveW
BCSS Member

Post by DaveW »

Looks like Lophophora diffusa? Not sure either Tina's or yours is L. fricii since that has a reddish flower. though flower colours can be variable.

http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... ora_fricii

Left to right. L. williamsii, L. fricii, L. diffusa.

lophophora's.jpg

Amount of wool on the bodies varies within the same species.
Last edited by DaveW on Mon May 01, 2023 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Looks like a williamsii but diffusa has white flowers for me, its more to do with the body colours, my fricci is a lime green colour.
Williamsii has a darken green colour
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Here is a photo I found on my phone, left is a loph williamsii crest, right is a no ID crest- maybe diffusa but seems to be a dwarf form, but you can see a definite colour difference.
Anybody seen this form of crest, its very unusual as its small, fast growing & does produce aerial roots whilst growing on the graft, again something that is untypical.
loph crests.jpg
Tina

Bucks, UK
DaveW
BCSS Member

Post by DaveW »

I had in the back of my mind there was a white flowered form of L. friccii therefore looked it up and it appears similar to Tina's if you scroll right down the link below.

"This white flowering variety of L. fricii is known for having a peculiar yellowish epidermis, and can be found southwest of Viesca growing more or less solitary and running up open slopes."

https://magicactus.com/description.html

I think I had one come as L. fricii too.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

What does diffusa mean?
I remember looking it up before but can't remember or find it now.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

habanerocat wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:38 pm What does diffusa mean?
I remember looking it up before but can't remember or find it now.
diffusus Lat., unevenly or differently formed, unlike what is usual; definition (2) from 'Eggli and Newton':
for the low, flat, ill-defined tubercles of the plant bodies (Lophophora diffusa)
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)