May 2023 - Taken with a phone (or tablet)

May 2017 - May Blossom
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

May 2023 - Taken with a phone (or tablet)

Post by Jim_Mercer »

A bit of a technical challenge for this month, the cameras built into phones and tablets have to have short focal length lenses to fit in the thin bodies, this results in a greater depth of field i.e. more of the subject in focus, than the larger lenses on conventional cameras. For my entries in last months competition the mammillaria photos were taken on my phone and the schlumbergera using a mirrorless camera - to get as much as possible in focus the camera image is a stack of 20 images with the focus changing slightly between each one then a clever piece of software combines the in focus bits of the different images - much more complicated than the simple tap on the phone screen.

Most phones now have lots of pixels in their sensors so you might find you get a better picture by not getting too close then using simple editing software to crop the picture which should still leave enough pixels to fill most screens.

Editing is not required for the competition the only requirement is to use phone or tablet to take the picture

Picture below is how I posed the mammillaria - I did get a bit closer to take the image that was cropped before posting to forum
20230418_152449.jpg
bobblackbird
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Re: May 2023 - Taken with a phone (or tablet)

Post by bobblackbird »

Mammillara Haageana,taken with my Samsung tablet
Attachments
Mammillaria Supertexta.jpg
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

Took this just now with my Huawei P Smart 2019 (yes, I know, I should update it) Aloe speciosa that has spent the past 12 months outside. I find that rather encouraging when considering most of my aloes look like boiled spinach.
IMG_20230502_144028.jpg
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Paul in Essex wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:36 pm Took this just now with my Huawei P Smart 2019 (yes, I know, I should update it)
My Samsung A40 was bought in 2019, does all I want so not seeing any reason to update
Abigail123
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Abigail123 »

Just wondering are photos required to be taken this month?
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Abigail123 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:01 pm Just wondering are photos required to be taken this month?
Probably not, but I expect Jim Mercer will confirm this.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Abigail123 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:01 pm Just wondering are photos required to be taken this month?
I might check the exif data (included with most jpg files) to see which phone/tablet has been used but I will not be checking when the photograph was taken. The only requirement for this month is that the picture should have been taken using something that uses a lens/sensor package similar to the one in the picture below, this is an old design without any autofocus that used to be used in mobile phones but mounted on circuit board for use with raspberry pi computer.
20230502_175041.jpg
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Jim_Mercer wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:41 am
I might check the exif data (included with most jpg files) to see which phone/tablet has been used but I will not be checking when the photograph was taken. The only requirement for this month is that the picture should have been taken using something that uses a lens/sensor package similar to the one in the picture below, this is an old design without any autofocus that used to be used in mobile phones but mounted on circuit board for use with raspberry pi computer.
20230502_175041.jpg
Ok
But what about post processing? Any machine? And for those of us who have more than basic skills, can the image be stacked? Or combined in multi-layered processing?
Just asking for clarification.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

20230503_141752-2.jpg
PSX_20230503_142047.jpg
Trichodiadema densum
Samsung A70 with process in Lightroom and other copy in Photoshop Express
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
jenniemay
BCSS Member
Branch: CHESTER & District
Role within the BCSS: Committee member

Post by jenniemay »

IMG_20230430_103447.jpg
Taken with a Sony Xperia