Fungal infection?  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
JeffK
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Fungal infection?

Post by JeffK »

There seems to be what I think is a fungal infection developing on my Senecio herreianus 'Purple Flush'...lots of small instances of it. Ditto on the two cuttings I've taken from it. Other than that the plants look fairly healthy.

Other succulents near these don't seem to be affected, so I guess whatever it is started with this plant, before I took the cuttings. I've now isolated all the plants & am hoping it's not already spread, or that at least it's curable

Does anyone know what it is, please, & what I should do about it?

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_20230718_164220.jpg
IMG_20230718_165110.jpg
IMG_20230718_164316.jpg
IMG_20230718_165046.jpg
John Foster
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Journal Team

Re: Fungal infection?

Post by John Foster »

Your plant is actually a form of Crassothonna capensis (or possibly a hybrid with something else) and what you're seeing is perfectly normal. When I first acquired this plant I thought they were mealies!
John Foster
Zone 9 Rep
Gloucester Branch Chairman
JeffK
Registered Guest

Post by JeffK »

John Foster wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:15 am Your plant is actually a form of Crassothonna capensis (or possibly a hybrid with something else) and what you're seeing is perfectly normal. When I first acquired this plant I thought they were mealies!
Thanks, both of those things are good to know... especially the latter 👍🙂
JeffK
Registered Guest

Post by JeffK »

John Foster wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:15 am Your plant is actually a form of Crassothonna capensis (or possibly a hybrid with something else) and what you're seeing is perfectly normal. When I first acquired this plant I thought they were mealies!
Do you know what is is then, if not mealies or fungi?
John Foster
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Journal Team

Re: Fungal infection?  Solved

Post by John Foster »

It's tufts of wool and is quite natural. It's sometimes thought to be a cross with a true Othonna because Othonnas often have these wooly tufts whereas Crassothonnas generally don't.
John Foster
Zone 9 Rep
Gloucester Branch Chairman