Question .... Echinocereus pensilis morangaya cultivation

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Question .... Echinocereus pensilis morangaya cultivation

Post by el48tel »

I have a multi stemmed plant. The largest stem is brown damaged(?) diseased(?). I was considering cutting it off at the base. Allowing it to callous. But also cutting off the diseased top. Attempting to root the base portion.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
TomInTucson
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Question .... Echinocereus pensilis morangaya cultivation

Post by TomInTucson »

el48tel wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:12 pm I have a multi stemmed plant. The largest stem is brown damaged(?) diseased(?). I was considering cutting it off at the base. Allowing it to callous. But also cutting off the diseased top. Attempting to root the base portion.
In California these are grown in hanging baskets. Keep them well ventilated with nearly full sun. Water when needed if nights are cool.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

TomInTucson wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:37 pm
el48tel wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:12 pm I have a multi stemmed plant. The largest stem is brown damaged(?) diseased(?). I was considering cutting it off at the base. Allowing it to callous. But also cutting off the diseased top. Attempting to root the base portion.
In California these are grown in hanging baskets. Keep them well ventilated with nearly full sun. Water when needed if nights are cool.
Thanks.
It is on the southeast side of the GH. Although this faces the sun, it has the shade of some large deciduous trees in summer, and sunlight in winter.
I've had the plant for a few years and it seemed happy. I think the really cold damp summer has been too much stress for it.
I've cut the diseased top off and dusted it with yellow sulphur powder.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Not sure if this is called an Echinocereus or Morangaya these days but it's rarely seen in cultivation in the UK. I don't think I've ever seen it for sale, not even at Ed and Betty Gay's nursery and it was part-named for them. It's one of the few 'best left in habitat' plants which produces lots of wandering stems and very rarely flowers. I'm not sure it can justify its greenhouse space though.

Stuart
RayW
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by RayW »

Peter Berresford usually sells them when he gives a talk on Baja Cal.
Ray Woodbridge

Cacti only collection mainly grown from seed.
BCSS member 50155
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

The origin is as suggested ... from Peter Berresford.
Ah well. It'll stay until in succumbs.
StevenT
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by StevenT »

Ian Robinson has 2 clones on his nursery website.
Cacti and succulents with data - especially clonotypes, topotypes, old clones, ISI introductions - basically plants with stories!
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

I had one of these from JP a lot of years ago. It didn’t flower for me and eventually went into the compost heap as it was never an attractive looking plant.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Sounds like it might need help to get it to flower. It might not be the belle of the ball, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I've lost other less sensitive plants this year. It will be what it will be.
Simon S
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Post by Simon S »

I agree Terry... I think they're kind of nice (though I do like hanging plants as they provide a different dimension to the growing space).
I received mine as a cutting from Peter Cowdell and it flowers quite regularly throughout the year. It gets decent light, but I don't treat it any differently.
M1.jpg
M2.jpg