Bulbs: where to begin?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
N.D.
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Bulbs: where to begin?

Post by N.D. »

I would like to try growing bulbs, and would like some advise.

1. What bulbs are most suitable for indoors, i.e. bulbs on the smaller end of the spectrum, and the ones that do not grow very tall, since in the winter they would grow in enclosed space? My first though is South African bulbs, but I am eager to hear everyone's take on this. I am able to provide any conditions in the winter (e.g. lots of light and any temperature).
2. What bulb suppliers do you know in North America, preferably in Canada? I find that ordering seeds from Europe can become very messy.
3.Suggestions for any resources (books, forums, websites) are more that welcomed!
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Bulbs: where to begin?

Post by el48tel »

https://www.sabg.tk/

A group dedicated to growing bulbs from Southern Africa. Many resources and members throughout the world.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
peter831shaw
Registered Guest

Post by peter831shaw »

N.D. wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:50 am I would like to try growing bulbs, and would like some advise.

1. What bulbs are most suitable for indoors, i.e. bulbs on the smaller end of the spectrum, and the ones that do not grow very tall, since in the winter they would grow in enclosed space? My first though is South African bulbs, but I am eager to hear everyone's take on this. I am able to provide any conditions in the winter (e.g. lots of light and any temperature).
2. What bulb suppliers do you know in North America, preferably in Canada? I find that ordering seeds from Europe can become very messy.
3.Suggestions for any resources (books, forums, websites) are more that welcomed!
The Pacific Bulb Society is a great place to start. Members are worldwide.

They have a great webpage https://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbsforum/index.php

A great Wiki page with images and growing help

A bulb and seed exchange

and a forum, and an old fashioned list serve

And only $25 per year

Telos Rare Bulbs is a fun site to waste hours

Peter
Peter Shaw
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

N.D. wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:50 am 2. What bulb suppliers do you know in North America, preferably in Canada? I find that ordering seeds from Europe can become very messy.
I have seeds of some bulb species, such as Massonia. See my free seeds thread for this.