Mammillaria SB1659

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
TomInTucson
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Mammillaria SB1659

Post by TomInTucson »

I recently asked Steven Brack this question: "Don't you think that Mammillaria SB1659 (aff. boolii) is actually M. insularis ? Or do you think that Mammillaria insularis should be called M. boolii ?".

He replied that he was getting prepared for his trip to South Africa, and would research the answer upon his return. In the meantime, does anyone have a solution?
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Re: Mammillaria SB1659

Post by Chris43 »

I've never grown SB1659, but I've donme some deskbound investigation. The first thing was to locate Puerto El Porteluezo, on which I failed. But dropping the Puerto lead me to a location more or less in the middle of the width of BCN, and about level with Puerto Lobos on the Sonoran mainland.

The images I found of SB1659 are very much of a plant that looks like boolii. M. insularis is, of course, an island relarive of N. boolii, though I have wondered whether one of these two shoud be a subspecies of the other! In San Calos Bay area I have seen many M> boolii plants, some with central spines as dark as those on M. insularis.

It'll be very interesting to hear what Steven Brack has to say when he's got time to investigate.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
TomInTucson
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by TomInTucson »

Chris43 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:27 am I've never grown SB1659, but I've donme some deskbound investigation. The first thing was to locate Puerto El Porteluezo, on which I failed. But dropping the Puerto lead me to a location more or less in the middle of the width of BCN, and about level with Puerto Lobos on the Sonoran mainland.

The images I found of SB1659 are very much of a plant that looks like boolii. M. insularis is, of course, an island relarive of N. boolii, though I have wondered whether one of these two shoud be a subspecies of the other! In San Calos Bay area I have seen many M> boolii plants, some with central spines as dark as those on M. insularis.

It'll be very interesting to hear what Steven Brack has to say when he's got time to investigate.
It really doesn't matter too much to solving the question, but I had the same problem with the location of SB1659 as well. The town you referenced is actually incorrect. It took me a while to figure out what Steve's actual location was. It turns out that Puerto el Portezuelo is actually a ,mountain pass a few miles inland from the Sea of Cortez called Puerto Portezuelo (Portezuelo pass). It's a few miles west of a small settlement called El Barril (right on that sea)
While checking the locations of M. insularis on iNaturalist. I found several near both locations.
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

Thanks for the update on location.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html