Cat litter

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Cat litter

Post by Herts Mike »

Just noticed Sophisticat cat litter pink 30l for £21.87 on Amazon.
brugge
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Cat litter

Post by brugge »

Having never used cat litter, without sounding too stupid, do you place a layer at the bottom of the pot or do you mix it in the compost when re potting a plant.
Is there cat litter that is rubbish to use, ie supermarket low cost own brand? or how do l tell if its any good.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by MatDz »

brugge wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:21 pm Having never used cat litter, without sounding too stupid, do you place a layer at the bottom of the pot or do you mix it in the compost when re potting a plant.
Is there cat litter that is rubbish to use, ie supermarket low cost own brand? or how do l tell if its any good.
1. You mix it with the rest of your ingredients.

2. As you asked about this, a "layer at the bottom" doesn't improve drainage at all, all it does is it raises the level of saturation in the pot (give me a sec, I'll find a link to a video on that).

3. It has to be a moler clay one, there are multiple brands mentioned on the forum, including spillage absorbents.

Edit re. #2: https://youtu.be/hw1j48GjFXo, about 28:00.
Mat
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Cheers Mike,
2 bags ordered, I do like the larger size for the bigger pots & plants.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

They sent me an email recently confirming that stocks are available again and it should be reappearing in all the old locations shortly. Serious price hike thou.
Last edited by Mike P on Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Trilobite
Registered Guest

Post by Trilobite »

Aha, finally 😊❤️, very good news!
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by ianstrutt »

I’ve just started using this for the majority of my plants. I think I’ve added too much cat litter in relation to grit and a bit of compost. Pots seem to be taking a long time to dry out.
Do others use this alongside compost or instead of?

I’ve since upped the amount of grit im using and that seems to have done the trick.
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
Darren S
BCSS Member

Post by Darren S »

I've used it in various combinations Ian. Very few plants are now in pure cat litter. Most have some grit added and maybe a little humus in the form of a bark based compost. It depends on the plants.

Pure cat litter needs you to really keep on top of the feeding and nutrient balance. Also my wife experimented with it as part of her Hort degree research and found it was disastrous for her test plants (Sedum) under drought conditions because it actually seems to wick moisture out of the plants via the roots and they shrivelled badly compared with plants in a mix with 20% composted bark and/or grit added. Her hypothesis was that the additives interrupted the capillary connections between the cat litter particles and reduced the effect. As a result I won't use it undiluted for anything with a prolonged summer dormancy. Winter dormancy might be OK.

My Pterocactus are currently in deep pots of pure Sanicat pink. And they do seem to need a long time between waterings but that might be pot depth more than anything. I'm not convinced they wouldn't be happier in a richer mix.
Darren nr Lancaster UK. Growing Conophytum, Lobivia, Sulcorebutia, bulbs etc.
brugge
Registered Guest

Post by brugge »

MatDz wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:44 pm
brugge wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:21 pm Having never used cat litter, without sounding too stupid, do you place a layer at the bottom of the pot or do you mix it in the compost when re potting a plant.
1. You mix it with the rest of your ingredients.

2. As you asked about this, a "layer at the bottom" doesn't improve drainage at all, all it does is it raises the level of saturation in the pot (give me a sec, I'll find a link to a video on that).

3. It has to be a moler clay one, there are multiple brands mentioned on the forum, including spillage absorbents.

Edit re. #2: https://youtu.be/hw1j48GjFXo, about 28:00.
Thank you for your answer, do l still mix perlite with it or should l forget the perlite with adding cat litter.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

No need for perlite if you use cat litter. Mixes with cat litter will retain more water than perlite, so adjust your mix accordingly, or your watering.
Cheshire, UK