Lullingstone Weekend.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Geoff Lovell
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Member

Lullingstone Weekend.

Post by Geoff Lovell »

Has anyone have a report to make about the cactus weekend at Lullingstone?
Founder member BCSS # 32426,
Growing Cacti and Succulents for over 40 years,
mixed collection but prefer succulents particularly caudiciforms.
Geoff Lovell
BCSS Member

Re: Lullingstone Weekend.

Post by Geoff Lovell »

So, it was that good!
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

I can't quote facts and figures, Geoff, but according to Tom it was the busiest and best yet, with higher visitor numbers than before - especially BCSS non-members. I understand the vendors took lots of money. The weather could not have been better.

Speaking personally, I went on the Saturday andI had a great time. I talked myself hoarse with folks I know, had a nice burrito for lunch, now have a couple more talks in diary for next year and, astonishingly, didn't buy any plants. :grin:
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Geoff Lovell
BCSS Member

Post by Geoff Lovell »

Thanks Paul.
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Post by Al Laius »

Hi Geoff
It wasn’t a BCSS event (as I understand) so it wouldn’t necessarily be mentioned on a BCSS Forum.
Geoff Lovell wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:31 pm Has anyone have a report to make about the cactus weekend at Lullingstone?
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

Al Laius wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:21 pm Hi Geoff
It wasn’t a BCSS event (as I understand) so it wouldn’t necessarily be mentioned on a BCSS Forum.
Surely to goodness a massively successful event celebrating cacti and succulents is EXACTLY what should get mentioned on the forum, irrespective of who organised it? :shock: The society isn't just there for its own benefit.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

It was a splendid event and I also had a great time chatting to people I hadn’t seen for ages. Sadly I did buy a few plants including some expensive Haworthias….and a nice Maihueniopsis and of course some of Grahams Matucana’s.
And some second hand BEF pots…
Oh yes and a splendid Aloe..
And a Cumulopuntia cutting.
Aside from that I was very restrained..
Oh yes and a book on Sedums..
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
greatnorthernexotic
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by greatnorthernexotic »

Paul in Essex wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:22 pm I can't quote facts and figures, Geoff, but according to Tom it was the busiest and best yet, with higher visitor numbers than before - especially BCSS non-members. I understand the vendors took lots of money. The weather could not have been better.

Speaking personally, I went on the Saturday andI had a great time. I talked myself hoarse with folks I know, had a nice burrito for lunch, now have a couple more talks in diary for next year and, astonishingly, didn't buy any plants. :grin:
Any plans to speak at any of the Yorkshire branches, Paul? And any news on the book?!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BCSS #54601 (LEEDS BRANCH)
youtube.com/@greatnorthernexotic / instagram.com/greatnorthernexotic
In the greenhouse: ariocarpus, astrophytum, aztekium, copiapoa, lophophora...
In the outdoor arid bed: hardy agave, aloe, dasylirion, hesperaloe, opuntia, yucca...
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Superb weekend and perfect organisation, a major succulent event at the home of one of the BCSS patrons can hardly be not included on the Forum. The original BCSS idea was to have these events each year at a different venue each year under the 'Cactus World Live' brand. The first one was such a success that its not surprising that Tom Hart-Dyke wanted to make it an annual part of the Mexican weekend at Lullingstone Castle. When the BCSS didn't take him up on it, we luckily had the online 'Cactus and Succulent Review' help to continue the event. We're all grateful to Tom for providing his 'front lawn' and to Sheila, Graham and Vicky for all their hard work. For these events to work and grow each year, they need to be at the same venue each year and the same week each year. 'Cactus at the Castle' looks to set be a top fixture in the cactus calendar each year which is exactly what our hobby needs to grow.

Stuart
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

greatnorthernexotic wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:25 pm Any plans to speak at any of the Yorkshire branches, Paul? And any news on the book?!
At the moment Macclesfield is the furthest north I will be travelling next year. :smile:

Book is shaping up nicely, thanks. The text is written and being proof read by our very own Sheila Cude, who is translating it into English for me :lol: A few more late season pictures to take then sorting it all out for submission by the end of November. Should be published the end of summer.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.