Lithops ID

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
N.D.
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Lithops ID

Post by N.D. »

Dear Lithops Experts, I had a stupidity of sowing L. optica and L. marmorata in the same pot, and now I cannot tell the difference. What does the plant with the flower look like to you:
L. optica C288 MG1679, or
L. marmorata 'framesii' SB1097 MG1665.8?
2023-10-17 13.58.12.jpg
The plant to the left is pretty obviously L. otzeniana.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Lithops ID

Post by iann »

I would go with L. marmorata from what I can see. Some distinguishing features you might want to look for:
- L. marmorata tends to be 6-merous, L. optica 5;
- L. optica tends to have fairly closed fissures (although obviously open when flowering) and lopsided leaves, L. marmorata more even leaves and more divergent;
- L. marmorata tends to have marbled windows, L. optica smooth clear windows although sometime partly occluded (Maculate form);
- L. optica tends to greenish, L. marmorata (framesii) to slightly pinkish;
- L. marmorata is medium to large, L. optica (and its flowers) small.
Last edited by iann on Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheshire, UK
N.D.
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Lithops ID

Post by N.D. »

Many thanks Ian! Now I have to save these difference. This is a lot more informative than what I could find in Treasures of the Veld.