The Autumn Cactus and Succulent Show at RHS Harlow Carr on Saturday 23 September 2023 - a few photographs

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Patrick
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOMERSET

Re: The Autumn Cactus and Succulent Show at RHS Harlow Carr on Saturday 23 September 2023 - a few photographs

Post by Patrick »

Stuart wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:34 pm That was my thought too, the Dutch always grow a cluster in a pot to make them more 'saleable' but there's the very slight possibility of it coming from a damaged seedling. Without taking it out of the pot it's not possible to tell but it's almost certainly a cluster of seed-grown plants. Ideally, when judging I'd like the plant not to be in the first three then it can be comfortably ignored. If I'd been judging with Tony - we did one of the National Shows together - I think we'd both have agreed a 'NAS' on the card.

Stuart
I didn't know that was so widespread, it's is very common in the garden centres here too. I once bought a big pot of a wonderful looking crassula which was new to me, only to discover when I got home that it was about 20 different plants!
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: The Autumn Cactus and Succulent Show at RHS Harlow Carr on Saturday 23 September 2023 - a few photographs

Post by el48tel »

5.jpg
5-1.jpg
5-2.jpg
5-3.jpg
6.jpg
6-1.jpg
6-2.jpg
6-3.jpg
I thought we'd get back to the ORIGINAL reason for MY posting ... that is the show and the PLANTS
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
TraceyM
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIDLINGTON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by TraceyM »

We had several people on the day checking the plants before judging took place so we could avoid any NAS. We allowed anyone who had placed a plant in the wrong class the chance to move it to another class or the non competitive display area before judging took place.

Maybe this is a plant which looks more obviously like it is all one plant in real life than when viewed in a photo.

We are very pleased that Terry took fabulous photos of the amazing plants at the Harlow Carr Show and I hope that everyone enjoys looking at them.
tykesrule
Registered Guest

Post by tykesrule »

I am surprised that someone would NSA a plant without any proof. The plant in question has ten heads and a small pup which is visible on the photo and when re potted showed no evidence of being several plants. It was therefore put into the show in good faith and was judged in good faith by one of the best judges in the BCSS. I own several plants that according to so called experts are supposed to be solitary but are clumping or are both cristate and mostrose. I know some prize winning plants at the national were or on a graft for example most Discocactus were on a graft but if the judge can not see it he has to judge it as on its own roots. Indeed some plants I know hadn't even been owned for the correct time spell also. Judges have to take these things on trust. However the point I am trying to make is people show in good faith and get judged in good faith. As a society we should be encouraging people to show not to NSA a plant just because you feel it is more than one plant. Do you do the same if you suspect a plant is grafted?? If you don't like it just don't award a prize.

So please be kind show respect for the entrant and the judge and remember without plants there is no show. Positive comments only please and let not distract from what was a fabulous Northern event put on by Tracey Kathy and Sue
tykesrule
Registered Guest

Post by tykesrule »

Tony either please approve my post or delete yours as you are not accurate and I find it offensive. The plant in the cereus class was an austrocephalocereus dybowskii which branch at the base of the plant so both myself and the judge got it correct. I feel by leaving your post there you are tarnishing both myself and the judge.
Thank you in anticipation of both our posts being deleted
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

I think there's room for us to discuss how we might judge plant differently.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Wow, this is an over reaction, its just a show not all plants win & anyone is allowed a different opinion.
I don't expect to win & often just enter an interesting plant I have, with my plants its often said ' only a mother could love' I don't go home crying its part of the banter.
Some judges prefer different plants there is always an element of personnel preference & previous experience of show plants & how people grow them.
Grafted plants aren't seen as that different by some judges & they aren't NAS for being grafted, a grafted plant will be faster when young but they soon slow down & often root thru the graft, I have some of these and they are my favourites as they often have multi heads.

I'm more interested to know who judged it.
The time of ownership is a guide, yes I don't like it when people 'flip' plants but some do, which does seem to show a lack of integrity & just spending power. I like to grow them for a while so they feel like my my plants
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

I'm going to start a fresh thread for those who are inter4sted in the plants rather than the "politics".
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Many thanks for the pictures anyway Terry. Much appreciated.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Herts Mike wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:06 am Many thanks for the pictures anyway Terry. Much appreciated.
Mike
The next few classes have been posted in the new thread. Hope you and others enjoy them.
I'm not wanting the thread hijacked for political purposes. That was not my aim. I was asked by the team to take the pictures and post them on the forum for people to enjoy. PERIOD.
I think folk have forgotten the protocols and procedures around show judging. I'll say no more. I'll return to posting the pictures for you all to enjoy.