Fockea time

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Fockea time

Post by Tina »

These are some of my fockea's, there is fockea edulis & angustifolia, some I even grew from seed.
They have had a lovely time in the garden for the summer, its quite surprising how differently shaped they all are.
This first one is a very ancient plant that came from keith Mortimers auction, it was a bit of a skinny mess & some one said it & the idria with it, were both dead so they cost me £1, I have both plants still alive, they will never be show winners but they are survivors
20231014_113947.jpg
This one & the next I grew from seed that Colin walker gave me
20231014_114332.jpg
This one I deliberately tried to grow horizontally so when ever it was repotted it went on its side
20231014_114555.jpg
This is an old plant of fockea angustifolia, longer slim leaves & more rootlets
20231014_115336.jpg
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: Fockea time

Post by Herts Mike »

Fockea capensis flower
885B5644-8450-403D-88D0-2573FBFD12B8.jpeg
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Does yours have a lovely scent ?,
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

Dunno. I’ll go and sniff it in the morning.
peter831shaw
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by peter831shaw »

Herts Mike wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:12 pm Fockea capensis flower
885B5644-8450-403D-88D0-2573FBFD12B8.jpeg
I have two older plants of Fockea edulis, and last year one developed a fruit. This year I looked carefully at the flowers of both plants and they looked identical.

Since they are reported to be dioecious I assumed I have a male and female.

Anyone have clear images of both I can look at?

Mine are still blooming so I hope to pollenate the "female"

Peter
Peter Shaw
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by ianstrutt »

Lovely plants - I have a couple of much smaller f.edulis. One I'm leaving to its own devices and one I plan to trim off the new taproot growth each year to see if I can keep the caudex fatter and rounder. A bit of an experiment. I'll take a look to see if my handiwork has done anything sometime next year.

I've never seen angustifolia (or any other fockeas now I think about it) even offered for sale.
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Here's the smallest of the family Fockea comaru, its in a 17cm pot. I've only seen one other of these at a show. This came from a friend in USA more than 12 years ago.
There are 6 specie of Fockea: edulis, crispa, comaru, angustiofolia, multiflora & sinuata which is extremely rare, I have never tracked one down. Multiflora is available sometimes but not an easy plant to keep long term.
20231101_121959.jpg
Here's crispa, comaru & angustifolia leaves
20231101_122236.jpg
Fockea crispa- you know if you have the right plant as these grow big & have serious wavy leaves.
20231101_122156.jpg
Tina

Bucks, UK
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

Isn’t crispa capensis now?
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

I prefer the name crispa but either will do, capensis is the older name isn't it.
Must admit there is so much rubbish on the WWW that unless its in a book or Colin tells me otherwise it keeps the label, sometimes with a revised name on the other side.
Tina

Bucks, UK
MaciejW
BCSS Member
Branch: HERNE BAY

Post by MaciejW »

I am not Colin, but will question the spelling of F. comaru. I got mine from a very reputable source few years ago with F. camura.