I've been here since 2019

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
JeanJ74
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: WILTSHIRE

I've been here since 2019

Post by JeanJ74 »

Hello

This is a re-introduction as technology & changes made connexion difficult.

I'm Wiltshire Branch member & very pleased to so be, thanks to the amazing Derek May & lots of others. We recently had a lovely talk by Ian Thwaites about what he is currently growing. I know what he means as I have recently become interested in winter growing Conophytums, having successfully grown Lithops over the past couple of years.

I'm an avid seed sower & would like to know the best time of year to sow conos which are coming from Ukraine & Hungary.

Any help would be appreciated in SW Britain as the LED challenge is great here.

Thanks

Jean J.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: I've been here since 2019

Post by Aiko »

JeanJ74 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:46 pm I'm an avid seed sower & would like to know the best time of year to sow conos which are coming from Ukraine & Hungary.
You grow without artificial light and heat? I don't. But I have a greenhouse.

September would be the best time, normally.

I personally would say late March, so I can get them growing in their first summer, then their first autumn and winter, and only seeing them to go to their summer rest more than a year later in their first late spring. More time to get them big enough for a summer dormancy compared to sowing them in September.
JeanJ74
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE

Re: I've been here since 2019

Post by JeanJ74 »

Thanks Aiko for the reply. That makes perfect sense to keep the seedlings growing on for their 1st year, returning to their southern timings the following Autum/Winter. I appreciate the confirmation. Jean J