Baby Lithops

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
AllanA
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Member

Baby Lithops

Post by AllanA »

I am pleased with the germination of these Lithop cultivars:-
P1090968s.jpg
L.Torra Red
P1090967s.jpg
L."Fireworks ZW"
P1090969.jpg
L.Red Brownie
P1090970.jpg
L.Maydo Schugengyoku
Allan
Orkney
conophytums,Lithops,Sempervivum, Tylecodons, small cacti. and Haworthias
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Re: Baby Lithops

Post by el48tel »

(tu)
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
brugge
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by brugge »

Have you just recently sowed the seeds, did you use any form of heat, l have some seeds l want to sow but was wondering if it is now to cold.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

They look strong! Is that last one L. karasmontana 'Mado-Shugengyoku'?
Cheshire, UK
AllanA
BCSS Member

Post by AllanA »

brugge wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:18 pm Have you just recently sowed the seeds, did you use any form of heat, l have some seeds l want to sow but was wondering if it is now to cold.
sown 5/9/2023 indoors under LED lights. No bottom heat but warm daytime and not too cold at night.
Allan
Orkney
AllanA
BCSS Member

Post by AllanA »

iann wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:53 pm They look strong! Is that last one L. karasmontana 'Mado-Shugengyoku'?
I assume so Ian, lable did not give the Karasmontana but there can't be many names like that.
My other, L.mado yogetsugyoku only germinated 3 seedlings and having knocked the pot off of the table, I now have only 2 seedlings.
Allan
Orkney
brugge
Registered Guest

Post by brugge »

Thank you for your reply, last time l tried to grow lithops from seed l had no success, yours look good and healthy,
l dont know whether l kept them to wet or if l hadn't used the right compost, am l right in thinking it should be more perlite/course sand than cactus compost itself.
AmyJay
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD

Post by AmyJay »

Thanks for posting these pics Allan; there’s something seriously cute about baby Lithops! What kind of soil mix did you go with? Did you keep them covered for humidity at all, or just in open air from the start?

I’ve grown some from seed, doing just about all the wrong things, but trying a second time I failed gloriously by getting distracted and letting things dry out I believe.

Definitely will have to try again soon though; these photos have reminded me how fun it is!
Perpetually ill succulent enthusiast. Growing succulents for 3ish years; incredibly geeky and have a newish fascination with mesembs. Can’t emphasise the geekiness enough.

Reading up on plant science somewhere in Oxfordshire (probably)
AllanA
BCSS Member

Post by AllanA »

The compost mix I use is approximately:-
50% peat, 30% fired clay cat litter and 20% vermiculite.
I do not use sand as I have found in the past my compost went like concrete with sand in.
When I sow them they go into pots that have soaked up boiling water right to the soil surface. I let these pots cool down and then sow the seeds on top. I sow the seeds near each other, as I think this helps germination.
I then put the pots in plastic bags and add a very small amount of water. The bags are then sealed, placed under my LED lights and are not opened until most have germinated. I then leave the bags open for a couple of days before taking the pots out.
I do not let them dry out but only water a little at a time, usually 2-3 days after the surface dries. After about 4 weeks I lift them up nearer the lights as they should look a little bronzed and i don't want them elongating. Moving them too soon can fry them and they would go white and die.
As they get bigger, I increase the wter a little at a time and after abut 6-7 weeks add a small amount of Chempac no 8 to my water.

This may not work for everyone as no ones house will be like mine, or kept at the same temperature. I am also retired and my plant table is right behind me, so I can monitor any changes very quickly.
Hope this helps.
Allan
Orkney
brugge
Registered Guest

Post by brugge »

Many thanks for your detailed answer. do you keep the light on 24 hours a day or do you turn it off at night also how high do you have the light above the pots.