Kumara plicatilis

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mike P
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Kumara plicatilis

Post by Mike P »

Back in the summer my Kumara plicatilis developed a lot of brown /
IMG_3155.jpeg
black marks on the leaves. It seems to be growing away nicely now and has had to move into the house for winter as it sadly won’t fit into either of the heated greenhouses. Any suggestions as to the cause of the marks? I did wonder if it got too wet during the time it was outside?
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: Kumara plicatilis

Post by Herts Mike »

Looks in great shape to me. The odd leaf will always get a mark.
Tony R
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

Herts Mike wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:41 am Looks in great shape to me.
I totally agree, a fine specimen! (tu)
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

It grows much better if you call it an Aloe. There was one at a show in the US with a label saying 'The plant formerly known as Aloe', at lease the name wasn't changed to a symbol. If we keep quiet about Kumara, Haworthiopsis, Tulista and other trendy names then they might go away. I agree that a few marks on the older leaves don't matter too much. That's a nice plant, presumably with a good woody stem. Does it go outside in the summer.

Stuart
Mike P
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

Thanks all for the reassurance.
Stuart - I tend to agree with the naming but I thought I’d better be up to date! It spends the summer outside and up until this year the winter in a barely heated greenhouse. What it will make of being in the house this year I don’t know….. Joan often moans that the greenhouses get more heat than we do! It has flowered for the last two winters so let’s hope the new environment doesn’t upset it.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch