Gaps in caudex of Dioscorea elephantipes

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
m123
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Gaps in caudex of Dioscorea elephantipes

Post by m123 »

Hi all,

I have a question with regard to my Dioscorea elephantipes. I recently noticed some gaps between the 'plates' (see picture). It worries me a bit, because the plant is not doing well. It started to grow a new vine when I decided to move it from a north facing window to an east facing window. Soon after, the vine stopped growing, and that is when I noticed the small gap.
Dioscorea_elephantipes.jpg
Does anyone know if the gap is something to worry about? Does it say anything about the health of the plant? And what could have caused it, too much sun, too little water maybe?

Any information, advice or tips are highly appreciated!

Best,
Marc
MatDz
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Gaps in caudex of Dioscorea elephantipes

Post by MatDz »

My guess would be that the plant rotted from the inside, might be time to uproot it and inspect the roots and bottom of the caudex, but maybe wait for a confirmation from someone with more experience with those plants.
Mat
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Is it still taking up water ?, vine still alive & nice n green, they can ooze if damaged but you may just need to wait & see.
I wouldn't unpot it, if its dying it will still die but just a bit poorly it should survive, they are normally tough but I did kill one two years ago.
Have you had a gentle poke thru the gap, is it soft or firm ?, mine lost some of its cones the other year thru lack of water & then over growing when I was too generous.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
m123

Post by m123 »

Thank you for your replies!

The caudex seems hollow on the side of the gap. If I knock gently on it near the gap, it makes a hollow sound, whereas knocking on another part of the caudex results in a more muffled sound. So something seems seriously wrong...

I removed the vine when it didn't look well anymore, and reduced watering since then.

I might wait if another vine starts growing, but somehow I'm also curious how it looks on the inside. So maybe I'll use (and open) this one to hopefully learn how to take better care of the other Dioscoreas.

Best,
Marc
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Post by Al Laius »

Not sure if you are a BCSS member but the last CactusWorld journal had an article on this plant, including cultivation advice.
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by ianstrutt »

m123 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:08 pm Thank you for your replies!

The caudex seems hollow on the side of the gap. If I knock gently on it near the gap, it makes a hollow sound, whereas knocking on another part of the caudex results in a more muffled sound. So something seems seriously wrong...

I removed the vine when it didn't look well anymore, and reduced watering since then.

I might wait if another vine starts growing, but somehow I'm also curious how it looks on the inside. So maybe I'll use (and open) this one to hopefully learn how to take better care of the other Dioscoreas.

Best,
Marc
Mine still has a perfectly healthy vine - I'm not expecting that to die off for a few months yet.
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Yup, read the journal. It describes, and shows, how the plates expand from green live material deep down between the plates. You might just have a case of that. Perhaps see if you can shine a light down and make sure there is something still in there.
Cheshire, UK
m123

Post by m123 »

Al Laius wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:05 am Not sure if you are a BCSS member but the last CactusWorld journal had an article on this plant, including cultivation advice.
No, I'm not a BCSS member unfortunately. Do you know if it is possible to order the last CactusWorld journal? I would be very interested in reading the article!

Best,
Marc
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
m123

Post by m123 »

Phil_SK wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:55 am It is, yes!
https://bcss.org.uk/product/cactusworld-2023-4/
Great, thanks a lot! I have just ordered the journal.

Best,
Marc