Today at Wythenshawe

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
RayW
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Today at Wythenshawe

Post by RayW »

As some of you know, John Foley and I look after a large arid house collection at Wythenshawe Horticultural Centre , ( see thread On the Move )
Today John was busy showing John Henshaw of Croston Cacti around the greenhouses so it was up to Paul and I to finish moving the donated plants we got just before Christmas.
Photo 1 shows a one metre tall Trichocereus atacamensis which we had to place correctly so it can grow through the canopy, and also so the public and you cannot see the hole where a mouse nested some years ago. :eek:
Photo 2 shows the top of a 800mm tall Eulychnia acida which to be fair is not in the best condition. ( but we have very few Eulychnia in the collection ) so we will grow it on and hope it makes a nice clump in years to come.
Photo 3 shows an old Mammillaria haageana ? ( that's the name it came with ) any thoughts would be welcome, a beautiful old plant with some age to it and a good addition to the collection.
Well time to put the kettle on for a brew so by for now and more photos to follow.
Attachments
Trichocereus atacamensis
Trichocereus atacamensis
Eulychnia acida
Eulychnia acida
Mammillaria haageana ?
Mammillaria haageana ?
Ray Woodbridge

Cacti only collection mainly grown from seed.
BCSS member 50155
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Today at Wythenshawe

Post by el48tel »

Superb Ray
Some cracking plants there
I must get my passport out; get it stamped at Stalybridge; visit my old stamping ground
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

It's great to see this work, all looking good, thanks for posting (tu)
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
brugge
Registered Guest

Post by brugge »

Nice collection there, looks good all your hard work, looking forward to more photos.
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

Looks great
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
RayW
Registered Guest

Post by RayW »

Today I thought I would catch up on a little weeding this morning, Having spent the last two days planting out donated plants.
To be fair with have very little weed at this time of year with no watering taking place. Just the odd bit of Oxalis under the large Aloe and Agave plants :wink:
So I thought I would start at the Public entrance . In the bed against the back wall.
Photo 1 shows the entrance door with the bed on the right.
Photo 2 shows a section a little further on.
Photo 3 shows were I got to when someone said there was a brew going.
I will show what I got up to in the afternoon later in the week. bye for now
Attachments
Entrance door and bed on right
Entrance door and bed on right
Second section
Second section
As far as I got.
As far as I got.
Ray Woodbridge

BCSS member 50155
TomInTucson
Registered Guest

Post by TomInTucson »

RayW wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:29 pm As some of you know, John Foley and I look after a large arid house collection at Wythenshawe Horticultural Centre , ( see thread On the Move )
Today John was busy showing John Henshaw of Croston Cacti around the greenhouses so it was up to Paul and I to finish moving the donated plants we got just before Christmas.
Photo 1 shows a one metre tall Trichocereus atacamensis which we had to place correctly so it can grow through the canopy, and also so the public and you cannot see the hole where a mouse nested some years ago. :eek:
Photo 2 shows the top of a 800mm tall Eulychnia acida which to be fair is not in the best condition. ( but we have very few Eulychnia in the collection ) so we will grow it on and hope it makes a nice clump in years to come.
Photo 3 shows an old Mammillaria haageana ? ( that's the name it came with ) any thoughts would be welcome, a beautiful old plant with some age to it and a good addition to the collection.
Well time to put the kettle on for a brew so by for now and more photos to follow.
This looks more like M. perbella

RayW
Registered Guest

Post by RayW »

Tom. I think you are spot on. Thanks for that :smile:
Ray Woodbridge

BCSS member 50155
RayW
Registered Guest

Post by RayW »

In the afternoon we cleared out a short section of plants that were duplicates and were growing in a bed we wanted to raise up by about 250mm ( 10in ) .
First we removed the top soil and threw in 250mm of large pebbles and gravel ( photo 1 )
Being careful not to damage the Blue Cycad alongside us ( photo 2 )
Putting the top soil back in with a few well placed rocks. Five Mammillaria bombycina seedlings were the first plants in ( photo 3 )
Then the rest of the young plants were in and job done ( photo 4 )
New areas always seem bare compared to the other beds but soon start to fill up after only a short time ( photo 5 )
Attachments
Pebbles and Gravel in place
Pebbles and Gravel in place
Encephalartos horridus ( Blue cycad )
Encephalartos horridus ( Blue cycad )
Mammillaria bombycina seedlings
Mammillaria bombycina seedlings
Job finished
Job finished
Area planted out last winter
Area planted out last winter
Ray Woodbridge

BCSS member 50155
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

RayW wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:16 pm In the afternoon we cleared out a short section of plants that were duplicates and were growing in a bed we wanted to raise up by about 250mm ( 10in ) .
First we removed the top soil and threw in 250mm of large pebbles and gravel ( photo 1 )
Being careful not to damage the Blue Cycad alongside us ( photo 2 )
Putting the top soil back in with a few well placed rocks. Five Mammillaria bombycina seedlings were the first plants in ( photo 3 )
Then the rest of the young plants were in and job done ( photo 4 )
New areas always seem bare compared to the other beds but soon start to fill up after only a short time ( photo 5 )
(tu)
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.