Repotting at this time of year in the UK?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ac427
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Repotting at this time of year in the UK?

Post by ac427 »

I think my Echeveria chameleon is pot bound. Is now the wrong time of year to attempt to repot?
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Repotting at this time of year in the UK?

Post by esp »

Crack on! Or maybe wait until Sunday when a spell of milder conditions hit many areas.

Just be sensible - use a dry potting medium, don't leave it anywhere cold and damp.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

I just checked out Echeveria chameleon. Apparently "Echeveria 'Miranda Chameleon' is a unique and eye-catching houseplant that features fleshy leaves dyed in a shimmering, metallic paint.."
It looks like E. agavoides plus a paint job, so should be a very tough, forgiving plant, tolerant of a lot of cold and even quite a bit of winter dampness, borderline hardy outdoors in much of the UK if given very good drainage.
Given lots of space they can grow quite large, but also stay as neat compact heads if growth is a bit more restricted, so (further to my previous post) I wouldn't necessarily rush to give it a bigger pot unless it obviously needs it.
ac427
Registered Guest

Post by ac427 »

@esp Thank you for both your replies. I haven't logged on for a while so i only just saw them.

Yes, it is a beautiful plant.

Is there a book that is accepted as a sort of bible amongst the Succulent community so i can learn?

I saw you wrote "E. agavoides plus a paint job" Sadly, the place i ordered the plant from has some plants that have had their leaves painted with luminous paint. A pointless and cruel thing to do in my view.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

ac427 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:09 pm A pointless and cruel thing to do in my view.
It doesn't seem to do any lasting damage from what I have seen and the new leaves will soon grow out and replace those painted ones. I still have a large agavoides my wife was given one Christmas covered in paint and glitter that is now a nice plain green!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
ac427
Registered Guest

Post by ac427 »

Thanks. I have purchased another Echeveria Miranda Chameleon.

Image Without flash

Image With flash

He/She looks like they have had a bit of a heard life. At first i thought the holes under the leaves were the result of the leaves below getting squashed against the leaves above. Possibly during transport but it looks like something has possible eaten into the leaves?

Also, the tips of the upper leaves have suffered a bit of damage somehow. The colourful skin appears to have been broken and peeled. Will they repair themselves in time?

On a more positive note there is a new flower appearing.

I've have purchased a larger diameter pot to re-home the lovely plant.

Is there a procedure for separating the additional plantlets from the main plant?
TomInTucson
Registered Guest

Post by TomInTucson »

ac427 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:09 pm
Is there a book that is accepted as a sort of bible amongst the Succulent community so i can learn?
This book is a great source of information

It's available here: https://bcss.org.uk/product/the-genus- ... -pilbeam/

There are a few errors in it, but this site sorts out most of them https://www.crassulaceae.ch/de/artikel?akID=48
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

ac427 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:25 pm Thanks. I have purchased another Echeveria Miranda Chameleon.

Image Without flash

Image With flash

He/She looks like they have had a bit of a heard life. At first i thought the holes under the leaves were the result of the leaves below getting squashed against the leaves above. Possibly during transport but it looks like something has possible eaten into the leaves?

Also, the tips of the upper leaves have suffered a bit of damage somehow. The colourful skin appears to have been broken and peeled. Will they repair themselves in time?

On a more positive note there is a new flower appearing.

I've have purchased a larger diameter pot to re-home the lovely plant.

Is there a procedure for separating the additional plantlets from the main plant?

You do realise, I hope, that the leaves have been spray painted in these colours? In view of your previous comments about luminous painted plants being a cruel and pointless thing to do? This is exactly the same, I’m afraid.
Eventually those painted leaves will grow down to the base, and the top growth will grow its natural green colour.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

ac427 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:09 pm [...] Sadly, the place i ordered the plant from has some plants that have had their leaves painted with luminous paint. A pointless and cruel thing to do in my view.
ac427 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:25 pm Thanks. I have purchased another Echeveria Miranda Chameleon. [...]
I am also puzzled by the chain of actions here, but perhaps the earlier comments weren't clear enough?
Mat
ac427
Registered Guest

Post by ac427 »

MatDz wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:23 pm
ac427 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:09 pm [...] Sadly, the place i ordered the plant from has some plants that have had their leaves painted with luminous paint. A pointless and cruel thing to do in my view.
ac427 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:25 pm Thanks. I have purchased another Echeveria Miranda Chameleon. [...]
I am also puzzled by the chain of actions here, but perhaps the earlier comments weren't clear enough?
Apologies, i thought the metallic paint comment was just phrasing not that the plant has actually been sprayed.

I'll get some more sleep and the book mentioned above.