BCSS AGM 2024 - Unappealing photo!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Admin
BCSS Forum Administrator
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Re: BCSS AGM 2024 - Unappealing photo!

Post by Admin »

MatDz wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:39 am
Chris L wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:50 pm [...]
I myself have made 4 or 5 posters (2x Manchester, 1x Fife and a couple that were used last year), but I can't spend time making posters for every event!
Could there be a general "BCSS event" poster/flyer template that would be used instead for such events? I'd agree that a simple "BCSS AGM 2024" title with the logo and some basic information like date and address would be more visually appealing and "professional" on the website.

(The "visually appealing" part applies to the whole events page in general, not only this particular AGM. Worst case, perhaps the photograph can be simply removed like in the "16th Spalding Cactus Mart (Provisional)" right above?)
There already are poster templates available. But they are templates, i.e. all the same.

In the interests of harmony I have removed the rest of my post.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by MatDz »

I am quite amazed how much my, and potentially previous, comments were misinterpreted here. It all went from "this photo isn't nice" (and I added "so perhaps we could replace it with a flyer or nothing at all"), to rewriting the website code. This wasn't necessary.
Mat
Admin
BCSS Forum Administrator

Post by Admin »

MatDz wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:39 am I am quite amazed how much my, and potentially previous, comments were misinterpreted here. It all went from "this photo isn't nice" (and I added "so perhaps we could replace it with a flyer or nothing at all"), to rewriting the website code. This wasn't necessary.
You criticised the whole events section for being unprofessional and visually unappealing. I'm simply inviting an alternative while trying to make clear the amount of work involved in producing what we currently have.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

OK, this has escalated.
As the website administrator and publicity officer of a club (totally unrelated to C&S), I have some understanding of the time take in preparing and presenting publicity material, and also of the difficulty in obtaining suitable photos, information and text at times.

I also appreciate and welcome feedback. I may not agree with it, or have time skills, energy or other resources to act on it, but I do appreciate that some people are reading and looking at the information provided, thinking critically about it and offering their suggestions for improvement.

IMHO, the photo I originally commented on is not appealing, and does not help to make the venue, and hence the event, seem appealing. Neither myself nor an other contributors to the post have criticised the venue in any way.
Whilst "a picture tells a thousand words", words quite often explain factual information better, and using a single photo to try to illustrate lots of aspects is often a poor compromise. IMHO a better photo, possibly just a crop as below, would be preferable.

Since additional details of the AGM are tbc, aspects such as disabled access and parking could be mentioned,in text along with details of timings, registration procedure (or whatever) etc.

Ed
Attachments
Leicester_Forest_East-1.jpg
Leicester_Forest_East-1.jpg (160.41 KiB) Viewed 517 times
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Admin wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:00 am You criticised the whole events section for being unprofessional and visually unappealing. I'm simply inviting an alternative while trying to make clear the amount of work involved in producing what we currently have.
I did not, but I see how the sentence below could be stretched that way:
MatDz wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:39 am Could there be a general "BCSS event" poster/flyer template that would be used instead for such events? I'd agree that a simple "BCSS AGM 2024" title with the logo and some basic information like date and address would be more visually appealing and "professional" on the website.

(The "visually appealing" part applies to the whole events page in general, not only this particular AGM. Worst case, perhaps the photograph can be simply removed like in the "16th Spalding Cactus Mart (Provisional)" right above?)
What I solely meant here is that this one particular event's unappealing photograph is impacting the visual side of the whole events page, and if a simple flyer was used instead (as the "cover photograph" to be displayed on the events page), or no photograph would be displayed at all, that whole page would look more professional.
Mat
Admin
BCSS Forum Administrator

Post by Admin »

MatDz wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:56 pm
Admin wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:00 am You criticised the whole events section for being unprofessional and visually unappealing. I'm simply inviting an alternative while trying to make clear the amount of work involved in producing what we currently have.
I did not, but I see how the sentence below could be stretched that way:
MatDz wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:39 am Could there be a general "BCSS event" poster/flyer template that would be used instead for such events? I'd agree that a simple "BCSS AGM 2024" title with the logo and some basic information like date and address would be more visually appealing and "professional" on the website.

What I solely meant here is that this one particular event's unappealing photograph is impacting the visual side of the whole events page, and if a simple flyer was used instead (as the "cover photograph" to be displayed on the events page), or no photograph would be displayed at all, that whole page would look more professional.
Alright Mat, I will remove my post.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Admin wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:20 pm Alright Mat, I will remove my post.
(tu) , I am sincerely sorry for the confusion caused.
Mat
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

If I might explain the process of how a listing is made it might help people understand better.

To tell us about events people need to log in to the website and use the correct page to submit the event.

This is done by filling in a simple form which asks for a the event name, date/time, a contact and the location. There is a space to add in a really good description of the event to SELL the event to members and visitors alike (this part is woefully under-used!) A photo is also requested, but often none is submitted.

From the information I am given I copy and paste it into a plugin on the website and that makes the page as shown. If I don't get given much information, or a picture, I can't add it to the event.

Once I've entered all the information I move the new event to the correct place in the sequence so it appears in the right place and click "save".

As stated above - I would love it dearly if they all had wonderful posters/flyers and half a page of text to SELL THE EVENT but I can only put on what I've been given!

If people want to see better listings then PLEASE OFFER YOUR HELP....... Thank you.
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop