My avonia quinaria won’t root and it’s been almost a year. Please send help

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
TomInTucson
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: My avonia quinaria won’t root and it’s been almost a year. Please send help

Post by TomInTucson »

In the days before mass production of Mesembs,, a large percentage of these plants were field collected. A number of articles described the reluctance of these newly imported succulents to resume their typical growth period. From the findings discovered at that time, the nearly unanimous opinion was that the 6 month seasonal difference between the 2 hemispheres was the cause. Those that were able to coax them back to a growth season that coincided with the rest of their collection, stated that this transition period could take one to two years. Although this genus may adjust faster, this lag should still be considered.

I grow both domestic seedlings, and also (unfortunately) what appear to be poached specimens of both varieties of this species. They come from an area where rain can occur at various levels throughout the year. In my unusual climate, our rain falls in 2 almost equal amounts. Half in the hot season, and the remainder in the cool season. Growth can be observed very quickly regardless of the season.

My advice is based solely on my own observations. I start all sizes of this species in a mostly shaded area with very light (and infrequent) applications of water (no hormones or fertilizers) until new growth (of either old or new stems) is evident. When the stems start growing, both the amount, and frequency of water can be increased without very much likely harm. Once normal growth resumes (because of my unusual climate) additional water can be eliminated, and the amount of direct sunlight can be adjusted according to the temperature level.

No root pruning (besides dead root remnants) needs to be done. As far as being concerned about caudex shrinking, and the possible loss of this species do to drought, the typical climate should be taken into consideration. Droughts lasting several years are normal for this species in it's native habitat.

I use a soil mix that resembles what I've seen in images on sites like inatutalist.org: coarse sand of .1-.2 inch diameter. with virtually no organic matter.

Advice concerning reviving collected Mesembs as given by Steven Hammer, is similar to what I've suggested.