Looking for Echinopsis hybrids

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
tegglet
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Looking for Echinopsis hybrids

Post by tegglet »

I have been recently looking back through some of the posts of this forum with stunning photos of Echinopsis hybrids. I have had a look at websites such as Abbeybrook, Southfields and Ian Robinson but am wondering where other members find some of the Schick varieties such as Sierra Skyline. I haven’t yet found one that isn’t in the US.

Any tips gratefully received :razz:
edds
BCSS Member

Re: Looking for Echinopsis hybrids

Post by edds »

You've listed the most common commercial sources. After that eBay can be a good source if the seller has a good reputation for providing accurate plants (and incredibly frustrating and disappointing if not!).
The best source though is swapping with others once you have built up some pups to swap.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Doug Sizmur usually has a good assortment of Schicks, he'll be at Spalding Cactus Mart in April. Bryan from Southfields will also be there and his Echinopsis hybrids are just as good as the Schicks.

Stuart
tegglet
BCSS Member

Post by tegglet »

Thank you both. The Cactus Mart isn’t far from me so I will definitely go and have a look
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Might see you there! And Stuart will have his stall so you should say hi to him too!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

Hi Tegglet.
I have a full set of Schicks, and many other hybrids, and sometimes sell on eBay. Germany was my primary source, pre Brexit so I have quite a lot of Wessner and Rheingold hybrids.
Now, opportunities are few and far between other than eBay.
Many of the hybrids offset rarely unless you behead them so it’s difficult in a small space to propagate the reluctant offsetters whilst keeping a nice primary plant.
Im near Scunthorpe if that is close to you and am happy to welcome the occasional visitor.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

I brought 50 of the later Schicks from the Huntington years ago, after they'd stopped exporting and thought they'd be a good commercial investment for propagation.
They just sat there, year after year, flowered well and stubbornly refused to offset. When they're not in flower they look like a 'Branch Raffle Prize' and I finally decided they weren't earning their space and sold them ,complete with their oversized Huntington labels, over a few months on ebay. Some of the Schicks offset freely but most of those I had were annoyingly solitary unless the growing point was removed. The Huntington still sell them for about $5 each but don't ship outside the US so it's a good excuse for a trip to California. I still think the Southfields Echinopsis are well worth growing, producing hybrids needs careful thought and both Bob Schick and Bryan at Southfields know where to stick a paintbrush. Yes, I'll be at Spalding, haven't missed one yet, and don't miss the Spalding Branch meeting the night before the Cactus Mart.

Stuart