Huge trichocereus terscheckii plus flowering agave in inherited Essex garden

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
greatnorthernexotic
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Huge trichocereus terscheckii plus flowering agave in inherited Essex garden

Post by greatnorthernexotic »

Spotted this wonderful assortment of plants on Reddit. (Link to original post: https://www.reddit.com/r/cactus/s/w2z8dXKmSS)
Screenshot_20240213-093030~2.png
Found in the garden recently inherited from the father of the original poster. To my eyes, that's the second largest outdoor t. terscheckii in the country after Paul Spracklin's. Plus an agave (parryi? Looks too small for an ovatifolia) above to bloom.

He's located in South East Essex so I've passed on details for Chelmsford branch (neither he nor his father were members) as well as Paul Spracklin's website.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BCSS #54601 (LEEDS BRANCH)
youtube.com/@greatnorthernexotic / instagram.com/greatnorthernexotic
In the greenhouse: ariocarpus, astrophytum, aztekium, copiapoa, lophophora...
In the outdoor arid bed: hardy agave, aloe, dasylirion, hesperaloe, opuntia, yucca...
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Re: Huge trichocereus terscheckii plus flowering agave in inherited Essex garden

Post by Paul in Essex »

Funnily enough the guy has just emailed me! he reckons it has been there 25/30 years which, if correct, predates my one. Had it not been cut back at some point it may have been colossal!

Some weird things on Canvey Island - couple of champion palms, one just round the corner from where this cactus is - a Washingtonia filifera and, elsewhere on The Island the biggest home grown (as opposed to giant plant imported and planted out) Brahea armata palm in the country.

Agave parrasana, btw.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Re: Huge trichocereus terscheckii plus flowering agave in inherited Essex garden

Post by Chris L »

I like the way that the fence is held up by the plant......

If the plant did fall over that concrete post and the brick wall don't stand a chance.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
RayW
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by RayW »

Paul. Must be a great micro climate on Canvey island, that Opuntia basilaris would not stand a chance outside up here.
Ray Woodbridge

Cacti only collection mainly grown from seed.
BCSS member 50155
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

Ray, you are right it's not bad at all. Conflicting things happen there - on the good side, being a small island it is surrounded by water and therefore benefits from the warming effect of the sea. On the bad side much of the island is below sea level and cold air can pool. So it is a bit of a mixed bag over there but, yes, the best spots are very mild.

I'm trying to arrange a visit soon. :smile:
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

Popped round this morning. Very interesting. The son who has now inherited the house reckons it has been in the ground since 2001-ish. Few other interesting things as well - big old clumps of Aristaloe aristata and an echeveria, couple of Opuntia santa-rita or similar and Opuntia elata. Plus of course the agave parrasana coming up to flower.
IMG_20240217_101346.jpg
IMG_20240217_101354.jpg
IMG_20240217_101400.jpg
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Certainly makes for a more unusual and interesting garden.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Very interesting. Glad that the son has left the plants there and hope he enjoys them. He might even join the BCSS!
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
greatnorthernexotic
BCSS Member

Post by greatnorthernexotic »

Fantastic, Paul, and planted straight into the topsoil by the looks of it! :grin:

I'd love to know more his dad's interest in these plants, where he sourced them, and if he was aware of the BCSS. I do wonder how many people out there are growing cacti and succulents without knows of the society's existence.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BCSS #54601 (LEEDS BRANCH)
youtube.com/@greatnorthernexotic / instagram.com/greatnorthernexotic
In the greenhouse: ariocarpus, astrophytum, aztekium, copiapoa, lophophora...
In the outdoor arid bed: hardy agave, aloe, dasylirion, hesperaloe, opuntia, yucca...
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

greatnorthernexotic wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:16 am Fantastic, Paul, and planted straight into the topsoil by the looks of it! :grin:

I'd love to know more his dad's interest in these plants, where he sourced them, and if he was aware of the BCSS. I do wonder how many people out there are growing cacti and succulents without knows of the society's existence.
From the questions I asked I got the impression father and son were estranged in some way as he didn't know much about what was there. He grew up at the house, remembers the cactus being planted out as it became too big to keep potted, left 20 years ago and, it seems, only came back when his father died. He mentioned his father's partner at some point, from which I made an entire life story's worth of assumptions :grin:

The fate of the cactus as it stands remains in the balance. He and his wife intend to move in. She wants the cactus to go, he wants it to stay. He seemed to think it might be quite heavy - perhaps even as heavy as a water melon. I said it was probably nearer 200kg. :lol:
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.