May 2017 - May Blossom
Ernie
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: TEESSIDE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: March 2024 Marvellous Mesembs

Post by Ernie »

Lithops. Taken today in the greenhouse with sun shining through. It has not been color touched just re sized a little. I dont' know why the blue tinge has appeared. Maybe something to do with the polycarbonate sheet on the inside of the greenhouse glass.
DSCN7586.JPG
Last edited by Ernie on Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
Ernie
BCSS Member

Post by Ernie »

Another Lithops. leslieri 'albinica'
DSCN7598.JPG
Ernie
BCSS Member

Post by Ernie »

Last one. Lithops. Like my brain one half working the other dormant :lol:
DSCN7594.JPG
Last edited by Ernie on Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ernie
BCSS Member

Post by Ernie »

That's my lot, done my bit to pad out the entries a bit.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

A smaller Trichadiadema densum that I thought might produce some flowers before the end of the month.
Decided to go to greenhouse to check on progress if the sun was shining but sun went behind cloud while I was walking to greenhouse.
This is a quick snap taken with phone with plant in its usual position so not much of an attempt at finding best angle,
Trichadiadema densum.
Trichadiadema densum.
if I can find the motivation/energy might bring plan indoors tomorrow so I can play with different lighting
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

I keep meaning to add some photos, finally got round to doing something. I think they all qualify as marvellous - I think so anyway.
First 3 are of Lampranthus in Attila Kapitany's garden in Melbourne:
Lampranthus AK.JPG
Lampranthus AK 2.JPG
lampranthus AK 3.JPG
Then a wider view of the garden, so not everything is a Mesemb:
AK garden.JPG
Then Cheiridopsis denticulata:
Cheiridopsis denticulata.JPG
the next 2 I think are both Jordaaniella, but open to alternative suggestions
Jordaaniella.JPG
Jordaaniella_2.JPG
and no idea what this is, beyond it being a mesemb
mesemb.JPG
They're all special, not because I grew them (if only) but because of the memories they bring. Attila Kapitany's garden was the most stunning I have ever visited, even my non-succulent-loving wife thought it superb. The others are reminders of trips to South Africa. Health-wise, I have no chance of going back, but I still get much pleasure from looking back at what I was privileged to see.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

I waited until noon to post.

We may have lacked quantity this month, but we had quality.
Aiko gave us two superb images of Conophytum burgeri, putting this plant into environmental context.
Wobo gave us Delosperma dyeri 'Red Mountain'. Again, this shows the plant flowers in context, although for my taste, I’d trim off the most distant out-of-focus flower and show the image as a square format, or I’d use focus stacking to show all of the flowers more sharply. His image of Titanopsis schwantesii, similarly I’d trim to square to emphasise the plant and separate it more from the background.
In contrast, Ernie gave us a jungle-like Trichadiadema densum. Perhaps this needed a point of interest for us to find in the first image, but we did see some flowers in the second picture, which gave a good colour contrast from the foliage. His Conophytum picture was a delight. Pity the right-hand flower was out of focus. The lighting in the first Lithops image was a little “odd”, but did show the plant as often Lithops bodies appear. In contrast. Lithops. leslieri 'albinica', for me lacked a little interest point. His remaining Lithops image seemed to have an odd lighting artefact in the middle of the plant.
Another Trichadiadema densum from Jim Mercer, shows the way in which this plant grows, but I’d trim off the top 15% and left-hand 15% of the image since its out-of-focus nature distracts; alternatively, I’d use an off-centre vignette to lighten the centre of the picture or darken the top and left edges slightly.
The eight pictures submitted by Mike T demonstrated the range of mesembs, from filling the garden to an individual plant; through the (nearly) full spectrum of colours. Lampranthus #3 was my preference from the sequence. Cheiridopsis denticulata was certainly the image which was impactful. I’m not familiar with Jordaaniella and the magenta flower I enjoyed, pity the centre of the orange flower lacked sharpness.
Choosing the winner was difficult. I say that with great sincerity. My top three were the Conophytum from Ernie; the first Conophytum burgeri from Aiko; Cheiridopsis denticulata from Mike T.

The winner was Conophytum burgeri from Aiko because the image made me think, “is this a flower? Is it growing out of the stone?” Well done!
So over to you Aiko to choose the April topic
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

el48tel wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:02 pm The winner was Conophytum burgeri from Aiko because the image made me think, “is this a flower? Is it growing out of the stone?” Well done!
So over to you Aiko to choose the April topic
Yeehaw!

I will get on the next topic immediately.