Aberdeen Duthie Park Winter Gardens

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Aberdeen Duthie Park Winter Gardens

Post by Paul D »

Yesterday I visited what is now called the David Welch Winter Gardens, formerly the Duthie Park Winter Gardens, in Aberdeen. It is a few years since I last visited, and although I enjoyed the visit it is a bit depleted from what it used to be. Several large mature specimens of cacti that had been the subject of graffiti carved into them have been removed, leaving some noticeable gaps, and it is obvious that some smaller plants have also gone, presumably died. It is very sad as this was one of the best and most important collections of C&S in the country. There is still a very good collection of Aloes, but the National Collection of Gasteria is not looking as well as it did. I guess as staff change, people with different interests come on board. The flowers / borders part of the glasshouses is looking good.
Unfortunately mealy bug was in evidence in a few places.
Attachments
O78A5017.jpg
O78A4984.jpg
O78A4982.jpg
O78A4981.jpg
O78A4980.jpg
O78A4979.jpg
O78A4978.jpg
O78A4975.jpg
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk
Paul D
BCSS Trustee

Re: Aberdeen Duthie Park Winter Gardens

Post by Paul D »

Some other parts. Insectivorous plants garden, potted flowers corridor, tropical / bromeliads area.
Attachments
O78A5007.jpg
O78A4997.jpg
O78A4996.jpg
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

Thanks for sharing
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Very interesting, some nice plants still to see. I seem to recall that Aberdeen Council used to put on a cactus and succulent display at the Chelsea Flower Show, it was always very impressive.
Last edited by juster on Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

I guess as staff change, people with different interests come on board.
One would think that maintaining the garden's collection is more a matter of professionalism and skills, and not necessarily personal interests of staff or management...

It still does look better than many collections around, and I wasn't aware they have the NC of Gasteria - I see a couple on your photographs, hopefully there are a few more left.
Mat
Paul D
BCSS Trustee

Post by Paul D »

MatDz wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:24 pm
I guess as staff change, people with different interests come on board.
One would think that maintaining the garden's collection is more a matter of professionalism and skills, and not necessarily personal interests of staff or management...

It still does look better than many collections around, and I wasn't aware they have the NC of Gasteria - I see a couple on your photographs, hopefully there are a few more left.
Personal interests do come into it, because it is a question of allocating limited resources. For example, cacti that were removed have not been replaced; but tropical rainforest plants have been. Unfortunately the main curator of the collection retired a couple of years ago. He was a keen cactophile. The new administration, as far as I can gather, are more focussed on colour and showy displays of pot plants. Also, the budget has been slashed by the council and there are not enough staff.
I'm sorry to say that my own collection of Gasteria is better than theirs :cry:
RayW
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by RayW »

Paul it is very interesting what you say about Duthie Gardens and personal choices and attitude, we at Wythenshawe Park are on the up curve at the moment because John Leaning the new head horticulturalist there has a positive attitude to Cacti and Succulents which makes life for us volunteers much easier.
Ray Woodbridge

Cacti only collection mainly grown from seed.
BCSS member 50155