A slow start

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Conrad
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

A slow start

Post by Conrad »

In the 20 years or so I've been growing cacti I can't remember a worse, later spring than that we're experiencing at the moment (I'm in Devon). Constant low cloud, continuous rain, howling winds, and almost no sun at all. Although the temperatures aren't actually that low, the sun being almost entirely absent is holding the temperatures down in the polytunnels for me. I've only watered once lightly, though the poor plants are looking like the could really use another drink, so I will probably give everything a drench towards the end of this week. Id normally have done at least two decent waterings by now. Thermometer out there is playing up, so not certain on daytime temps, but given the lack of sun I'd be surprised if they were more than a couple of degrees above ambient - maybe 16 or so, very occasionally higher when the sun appears for 15 mins.

I was wondering if my experience is echoed elsewhere? How are your plants waking up?
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: A slow start

Post by Herts Mike »

Last spring was awful. Last summer was awful.

Roll on September.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

I haven't watered my cacti yet but would have done if I was at home this week. I agree it has been a dank and dingy start to the year, but at least mild.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
RayW
Registered Guest

Post by RayW »

Very mild spring here in the North West without much sun, hopefully this weekend looks promising and I may give the plants their first watering , they did get a quick spray about 10 days ago.
Ray Woodbridge

Cacti only collection mainly grown from seed.
BCSS member 50155
Conrad
BCSS Member

Post by Conrad »

Dank indeed. Curiously I've had some cacti flower (turbs) without any water at all, presumably occult precipitation since the air has been sodden for months. They normally take a drink to get going. I work most of the time on Dartmoor blanket bog, we had 650mm rain for Feb, more than three times the long term average, it's been grim. If anything April has been worse so far.

Roll on something, anything else!
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

Constant rain and dreary days here in the west of Ireland.
I've only watered last years seedlings.
Hopefully tomorrow I'll do some watering if I can get the lawns cut.
Let it bee is only an excuse....
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

I'm not an expert. I'm not a longtime grower. But I'm sufficiently skilled to have realised the problems we face. Temperatures here east of Leeds have not been a concern in the GH .... the humidity however has been worryingly high .... approaching mid 90% for much of the winter. I've tried to keep the GH door open during the day when temperatures were >5C. I terminated watering in early September because I'd lost plants the previous year because I felt they never really dried out. I've watered a few succulents seedlings over the winter to stop desiccation. I've watered the few permitted cactus and succulents in the conservatory twice since the equinox; I've watered the GH plants once; but as others comment ... the high winds ... wild fluctuations in temperature ... coupled with rain and humidity have not done my plants any favours.
I've had a few succulents flower early; I've signs of buds on cactus which should now be closer than they are.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Ernie
BCSS Member
Branch: TEESSIDE

Post by Ernie »

I live near Stockton on Tees. In Februar2023 I was getting a bit worried about all the dry weather because my water butts were getting a bit low. I wanted some rain, well I wish I had not asked for it because since then we had almost permanent sodden ground in the entire area. Its never dried out in over 12 months. Moisture level in the greenhouse very high. I don't think I have seen the garden decking completely dry for many months. Patio has dropped in one area quite noticeably. If this is going to be the norm what can we do if anything? Quite depressing really. Maybe giving up Cacti and succulents for bog plants!
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
SimonT
Registered Guest

Post by SimonT »

Even the pigeons don't seem happy with today's weather...
pigeon_rain_cp.JPG
RayW
Registered Guest

Post by RayW »

Terry; That is why some growers do not heat their greenhouse but use a Dehumidifier instead, so this year I played safe and kept one greenhouse frost free while the other was not heated but had a dehumidifier switched on, on the dank days, early signs are good, less fungus and rot and cheaper on the electric.

Ernie; I was up in Weardale ( Stanhope ) 2 weeks ago at a family funeral, so I know what you mean, but us Lancashire Lads we are not used to that cutting wind off the North Sea :sad:

Simon; please don't mention pigeons pain of my life. Although yours looks slim to the fat ones we get in the garden.
Ray Woodbridge

Cacti only collection mainly grown from seed.
BCSS member 50155