It's that time of year again! - Grass Aloes

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
BrianMc
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

It's that time of year again! - Grass Aloes

Post by BrianMc »

This is a photograph of Aloe cooperii, one of the big grass aloes, taken yesterday morning. The production of it's flower spike is a sure indication that Autumn is just around the corner!

So another Northern Hemisphere Summer draws to a close, but its not all doom and gloom....

....if you grow succulents, things are just hotting up!

I'm looking forward to my Madagascan Aloes between September and November, my Mesembs, especially the Conophytums from Now until Christmas, then there are the Winter flowering Aloes...

Gee it's all go!

[attachment 6113 A.cooperii_01.jpg]
?Brian McDonough
Attachments
A.cooperii_01.jpg
A.cooperii_01.jpg (97.66 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
Dot
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: It's that time of year again!

Post by Dot »

This is a seriously stunning photo Brian, I must check my grass Aloes,

Dot.
Dot
Zone 3 Rep.
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Re: It's that time of year again! - Grass Aloes

Post by BrianMc »

Hi Dorothy and thank you.

Here is one of my hybrids sown in April 2005 and flowering for the first time right now.

[attachment 6167 thompXsout_01.jpg]
?Brian McDonough

It's a cross between A.thompsoniae and A.soutpansbergensis.
Flowers are slightly more red -ish orange than soutpansbergensis and a little bigger. Flower stem shorter, and in this instance, branched!
Attachments
+ICQElDQ19QUk9GSUxFAAEBAAACMEFEQkUCEAAAbW50clJHQiBYWVogB88ABgADAAAAAAAAYWNzcEFQUEwAAAAAbm9uZQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPbWAAEAAAAA0y1BREJFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKY3B
+ICQElDQ19QUk9GSUxFAAEBAAACMEFEQkUCEAAAbW50clJHQiBYWVogB88ABgADAAAAAAAAYWNzcEFQUEwAAAAAbm9uZQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPbWAAEAAAAA0y1BREJFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKY3B (65.88 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

[attachment 6169 thompXsout_02.jpg]
?Brian McDonough
Attachments
+ICQElDQ19QUk9GSUxFAAEBAAACMEFEQkUCEAAAbW50clJHQiBYWVogB88ABgADAAAAAAAAYWNzcEFQUEwAAAAAbm9uZQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPbWAAEAAAAA0y1BREJFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKY3B
+ICQElDQ19QUk9GSUxFAAEBAAACMEFEQkUCEAAAbW50clJHQiBYWVogB88ABgADAAAAAAAAYWNzcEFQUEwAAAAAbm9uZQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPbWAAEAAAAA0y1BREJFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKY3B (71.43 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Very nice indeed!
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!