My new greenhouse is up!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Greenlarry
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

My new greenhouse is up!

Post by Greenlarry »

This is my Xmas present and well, it was a lot easier to put up than the last one, all the bits just snap together. If only flat pack furniture was this easy to assemble! There's 4 guy ropes with it but I could only secure it on one side as the tent pegs provided won't secure into the soil,plus I couldn't figure out how to tie the rope to the tab thingy.(I used to do a lot of camping years ago but I've forgotten how those things work!) My house has 2 huge hanging basket brackets attached to the side so I tied it to that and put heavy slabs inside. Wednesday or friday I will get the drill out and secure it properly!
The only thing with this one is it says not to use a heater anywhere near the cover,but surely if I put my small parafin heater smack in the middle it should be ok? Its only ever on low,just enough to keep frosts out.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/D ... C05219.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/D ... C05220.jpg[/IMG]
You can take the boy out of the greenhouse, but you can't take the greenhouse out of the boy!
Julie
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: My new greenhouse is up!

Post by Julie »

What a brilliant little greenhouse! And it comes with staging too. (tu)
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Greenlarry
Registered Guest

Post by Greenlarry »

Yea it didn't take long to put together,just a pity the outer isn't heat resistant! Also I tried to tether it to the wall but my neighbour came out and stopped me saying 'its my wall and I'm not having it pulled down when that thing gets blown over' ,charming!
You can take the boy out of the greenhouse, but you can't take the greenhouse out of the boy!
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Silly man! Obviously he does not realise the importance of C&S.. :bangh:

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Greenlarry
Registered Guest

Post by Greenlarry »

Well she's normally quite friendly towards us, I was a bit suprised by her outburst to be honest!
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

I've got a similar thing and I have weighted it down with bricks on the bottom shelf. So far it has survived the weather but when my neighbours had a wild party some drunkard leaned over the wall and tried to push it over. Several plants fell to the floor and others were showered with grit and soil from those above. Luckily the neighbours themselves are OK but they have some dubious mates.

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Phil, can you electrify it, without harming the plants? :D

Greenlarry
Registered Guest

Post by Greenlarry »

Sounds like some of our neighbours on the other side. Often have late parties and karaoke nights in the garden(oh please no!) One is a postman and he delivers in our street. When he gets to his own house he often goes in for a cuppa and its ages before he comes out again.
Philip
Registered Guest

Post by Philip »

I had one of those greenhouses a few years ago. (not for cactus).

My experience says the flaps (on the ground with a few bricks on) need covering completely, I used flag stones and breeze blocks on top of them. The guy ropes are adjusted by those plastic slider thingies, and all 4 need fastening tight. Done like that mine stood up to any gales and weather it encountered.

The cover did 2 winters and 1 summer before it degraded although in the second winter holes started appearing. The guy ropes also got brittle and snapped eventually.

The frame is now the frame of my fruit cage, although originally the frame is just push together I have now used silicon sealant in all joints so it says in 1 piece when I have to move it to harvest.

I never put a heater in it, so can?t comment on that. But I have a neighbour who has one of those Norfolk Greenhouses (the budget one) which is about the same size and keeps it frost free with a small paraffin heater, and doesn?t have a problem, (he bubble wraps and the paraffin heater is small) his covering has done 5 years now and is still ok, I thought of recovering mine with that, but decided to use it as a fruit cage instead
Greenlarry
Registered Guest

Post by Greenlarry »

Thanks Philip, i couldn't work out how to tighten the guys with those plastic things,what on earth do you do with them? Instead i took the two lines closest to the house and tied them to the large brackets attached to the house. Large slabs on the frame inside and bricks on the flaps outside.