Oxalis in the greenhouse

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mesemaniac
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Oxalis in the greenhouse

Post by Mesemaniac »

Oxalis are not really succulents, though some have thick juicy leaves. I treat South African species just like conophytums. The big colorful flowers are very welcome at this time of year.

[attachment 8523 Oxalis.jpg]
Attachments
Oxalis.jpg
Oxalis.jpg (32.9 KiB) Viewed 2287 times

Tim
Growing mesembs in the Mojave desert
BrianMc
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Oxalis in the greenhouse

Post by BrianMc »

Cool Tim!

I wouldn't mind them so much if they looked like that when they pop up all over the greenhouse!
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

Certianly very nice looking
cheers
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Nick
BCSS Member
Branch: EDINBURGH
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Nick »

Hi Tim - I have a few of these, O. obtusa and zeekoebergensis, if i remember the spelling, are non-succulent types / Winter growers. Also have a small pot of O. carnosa, which has succulent leaves and i think is one of the ones that self-seeds everywhere, but it`s certainly not done that yet with me.

Do you have a recommendations for fleshy leaved types, esp those that would be Summer growers?

Nick
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

More important, what is the best way to kill the common one when it comes up amongst your cacti as a pot weed!

You cannot pull it up as the top breaks off and the little tuberous root stays in the pot and regenerates again. I have even got it in my lawn now through throwing cactus soil on it, and even the winter does not seem to kill it!

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Peter B
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Peter B »

Dave,
Not the easiest way but certainly works...paint the individual leaves with weed killer. A laborious job. Otherwise unpot and tease the whole rootstock out of the pot. That also works.

Peter B Manchester Branch
Peter B,
Manchester Branch Chairman
NCSS/BCSS member since late 1960's - strong interest in mesembs in general and Lithops in particular, Haworthias and enjoy growing all forms of cacti & succulents
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

Nick,
Oxalis Carnosa is a succulent Oxalis and will self seed everywhere, especially in a greenhouse. It's a nice plant that grows in summer with yellow flowers and seems quite tough in winter. I grow it outside in summer, it will flower well if we get some sun.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Very nice!!
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
scousetigger
Registered Guest

Post by scousetigger »

I have none growing in my GH but it is a nuisance in potted shrubs. I found that repotting was the onlt way to eliminate them once they had a good hold. Pity they are so invasive as the flowers are lovely.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

Scousetigger, The flowers maybe nice but that is where the seed comes from. I 'm not sure if you are talking about Oxalis Carnosa or Oxalis Corniculata. Carnosa has nice flowers and succulent leaves and is not a huge problem even when it self seeds. The other is the invasive pest with a creeping root system, that can only be irradicated by digging out and then don't let the seedlings flower or leave any root behind.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.