More weather woes - batten down the hatches

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

More weather woes - batten down the hatches

Post by iann »

Maybe not the coldest winter in 100 years, but going to be windy tomorrow. Here is a typical sensationalist tabloid headline. Latest Met Office warning is that the worst winds are likely to be confined to southern and western areas. It looks like major hype to call this the worst storm in 20 years (remember the 80+mph winds just last year?), but it might be the strongest winds that the south and south-east of England has experienced since 1987. Should make for big news since that's where all the reporters live :)

Time to lock up your light fluffy pets and fasten down those auto-vents :D

Should have included this too: Met Office warnings page.
Cheshire, UK
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: More weather woes - batten down the hatches

Post by Diane »

Being as I live in the south-east, Ian, I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and hoping it IS just sensationalism!

Good luck to everyone - hope all the greenhouses are still intact tomorrow!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

I'd hope that this is the over-reaction as a result of Mr Fish's "hurricane, what hurricane?" quote from yesteryear. But having seen the isobars on the approaching weather, and from what our friends in Canada, who have had the front end of this storm, have said - maybe not!
I have tied down the greenhouse vents, and the garden chairs, and hope by the time I wake in the morning the worst may have passed.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Phil_SK
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

They seem to have moved it back slightly - Monday afternoon seems to be when it's at its worst.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
AllanA
BCSS Member
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)

Post by AllanA »

It is at times like this, that I am pleased to be growing my plants in the spare bedroom(:D

Alan A.
York
Mad on conophytums
Allan
Orkney
conophytums,Lithops,Sempervivum, Tylecodons, small cacti. and Haworthias
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Seems to be worst here in the NW when the front edge goes through around dawn, then not so bad since the low tracks right over the top of us. In the south it will be bad again in the afternoon as the low tracks across the country.

Chris, for Amersham it says gusts to 55mph around dawn then again in the afternoon. Not too bad, we had weather like that at the start of the month with no damage.
Cheshire, UK
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

Yes, Ian, and so long as the trees around us are still securely rooted, I have no worries. But the big ones would anyway fall the other way from my house and greenhouse.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
JazzFool
Registered Guest

Post by JazzFool »

A bit of a breeze is expected. Not worried. Though may have problems getting to work on Monday. Any type of reasonably adverse weather (rain, snow, wind, sun) always disrupts public transport and gridlocks the roads everywhere within the M25.

What, with Spurs winning the Carling Cup and an earthquake all in the same week, something else had to happen!
Paul
Languishing in north London but dying to move to a more rural location
Harrow Branch Member
Copiapoas, Ferocacti, Neoporterias, Tephrocacti & John Coltrane (not a cactus) all hit the spot
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

A friend returning to Montreal couldn't get there because the airport was closed due to severe snow storm, worst for years etc etc. Let's hope it calms down over the Atlantic!
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Getting a bit windy here.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.