visit to ZSS yesterday

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
Bill
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: visit to ZSS yesterday

Post by Bill »

Hi Marlon

Thanks for the excellent show.

To the left of the truncata var. truncata is truncata var. maughanii chris. As well as the hairy truncata me I would have the bolusii var. blackbeardiana it's stunning as is the clump of limifolia.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Diane »

Peter, the echeveria now goes under the name - Echeveria cante, the true subrigida was discovered just a few years ago!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

Post by Marlon Machado »

Peter Turner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great stuff, Marlon. Thanks......but no Copiapoas
> there?

Oh yes Peter, they have quite a few Copiapoa, many of which are original Ritter material. But the plants were not in flower, hence the lack of pictures :)

Cheers,
Marlon Machado.

Institute for Systematic Botany, University of Zurich, Zollikerstrasse 107, CH-8008 Zurich, Switzerland.
Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

Post by Marlon Machado »

iann Wrote:
> Looks like an amazing place.

Hi Ian,

Yes, ZSS is indeed amazing. It is the largest public collection of succulents in Europe, and they grow all sorts of succulents - even some which are borderline succulents at best! The place is so full of plants that it looks a bit crammed.

The collection is quite varied as well, and most of the plants are of known provenance - they are grown from habitat seeds and have good collection data. ZSS is thus a collection of high scientific value, and this is one of their main goals.

Cheers,
Marlon Machado.

Institute for Systematic Botany, University of Zurich, Zollikerstrasse 107, CH-8008 Zurich, Switzerland.
Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

Post by Marlon Machado »

Chris in Leeds Wrote:
> What was to the left of the Truncata collection

Hi Chris,

To the left of the truncatas are a few plants of Haworthia truncata var. maughanii.

Cheers,
Marlon Machado.

Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

Post by Marlon Machado »

Bill Wrote:
> As well as the hairy truncata me I would have
> the bolusii var. blackbeardiana it's stunning
> as is the clump of limifolia.

I knew you would love the hairy truncata, Bill! Pity they only have a single plant without offsets - I would like to get one of those too!

The bolusii var. blackbeardiana is also quite nice. They have lots of nice Haworthia over there, and quite a few in my collection originated from ZSS. I did not take more pictures of the haworthias to avoid bias towards just one group - I wanted to show a bit of the variety of plants the ZSS has to offer.

cheers,
Marlon Machado.

phil
BCSS Member
Branch: HERNE BAY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by phil »

Lovely show of plants Marlon. Thanks for taking the time (tu)
Phil. (Kent, England) BCSS Herne Bay & District Branch.
Collecting Cacti-1961. Forum member-September 2004.
Favourites= Mexican miniatures.
http://www.cactusplant.co.uk
Solaris
Registered Guest

Post by Solaris »

I was at the botanical gardens in Munich about a month ago but only had a very short time to look around, arrived in Munich too late in the afternoon, so it was just a quick scoot around the hot houses, but obviously not as impressive as all of the above.

I'm with Peter T though - No pics of Copiapoa, :shame: who cares if they are not in flower as they are mostly always yellow anyway, :neer: Cop's have more to offer than just flowers :shift: (imo) :D

Excellent pics, thanks for posting :)-D
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

Amazing Marlon, thanks a lot. That place is certainly worth remembering - if I happen to be in the area ..........
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

Post by Marlon Machado »

After seeing Copiapoa in habitat, I do not get that impressed with cultivated plants of this genus. The plants in cultivation are just not as magnificent as plants in the field. Okay, the smaller species like humilis etc. may grow into nice plants in cultivation, but I have yet to see a nice collection of the bigger species.

Cheers,
Marlon Machado.