"grey" water

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
stevepj
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

"grey" water

Post by stevepj »

I was just wondering whether any of you use "grey" water on your plants? I'm particularly thinking of washing up water which may contain a little "Fairy Liquid" nothing too nasty. I'm asking because I don't seem to have collected much rain water this winter (has it been particularly dry?)and since my water is metred using tap "fresh" water might prove to be a little expensive.
JazzFool
Registered Guest

Re: "grey" water

Post by JazzFool »

Use it on the garden but haven't tried on succulents/cacti. It's a good question though.

May spurn me into testing it out on some of the more robust plants like Opuntias. Always a bit worried about chemicals but I use Ecover, which is supposed to break down. The only other possible content would organic matter in solution. Should be like soup to most plants but bot sure about cacti?
Paul
Languishing in north London but dying to move to a more rural location
Harrow Branch Member
Copiapoas, Ferocacti, Neoporterias, Tephrocacti & John Coltrane (not a cactus) all hit the spot
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

How many cubic metres of tapwater are you planning on using on your succulents? One good session with a hosepipe on your garden would be enough to water my entire collection for a year. Use the grey water on the garden and clean water for the pots.
Cheshire, UK
Hob
Registered Guest
Branch: SOUTH NORFOLK

Post by Hob »

had enough rain here in the last hour to water my whole collection for the rest of the year ::o
hob BCSS 49009 member of the south Norfolk branch
suffolk england
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Got a big bucket, Hob?
Cheshire, UK
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Well my butts were nearly empty beginning of the week and are still not half full now. I wouldn't use grey water in the greenhouse, too much risk of build up of goodness knows what.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Hob
Registered Guest

Post by Hob »

Bill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well my butts were nearly empty beginning of the
> week and are still not half full now.

i could fill my bucket for you, it's been raining for 8 1\2 hours without a break now 8-)
suffolk england
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

You're joking it's been like a summers day here, had to have the aircon on in the car on the way home tonight, it's that warm.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Sue
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by Sue »

Lovely day here in Stoke too. Mowed all the lawns and edged them then weeded all the borders. Just need a replacement back, knees, ankles, oh what the heck a full body transplant would be better.:lolbt:

Sue
Sue
Stoke on Trent

Hob
Registered Guest

Post by Hob »

weather here

East of England

Headline:
Rain tonight. Mainly dry and becoming brighter on Friday.

This Evening and Tonight:
Generally cloudy with outbreaks of rain this evening heavy and thundery in places. The rain mostly dying out during the night.

strangely enough it just stopped :woho:
suffolk england