Aloe growth rate

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tony R
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Aloe growth rate

Post by Tony R »

Terry S. wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:58 pm Compare with https://worldofsucculents.com/gasteralo ... -highness/. This is something that is propagated in quantity in at least one Dutch Nursery.
I am straying off-topic a bit here but, for what it is worth, when I have seen such plants there, I don't think the all the plants in some nurseries in The Netherlands, so labelled, are the x Gasterworthia 'Royal Highness' as described by Rowley NCSJ 1957, 12 (4), 74. Some look very much like x Gasteraloe rather than
x Gasterhaworthia.

The plants below in my collection today originated from vegetative material first distributed by Rowley from plants received from the introducer Howard Gates from California in the 1950s are what I consider to be the true article. The amount of tubercles and leaf colour are quite distinctive.

Maybe a lot can happen in the intervening 65 years, particularly in the nursery trade?

IMG_1116.JPG
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Colin Walker
Branch: EDINBURGH

Post by Colin Walker »

Tony R wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:21 pm
Terry S. wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:58 pm Compare with https://worldofsucculents.com/gasteralo ... -highness/. This is something that is propagated in quantity in at least one Dutch Nursery.
I am straying off-topic a bit here but, for what it is worth, when I have seen such plants there, I don't think the all the plants in some nurseries in The Netherlands, so labelled, are the x Gasterworthia 'Royal Highness' as described by Rowley NCSJ 1957, 12 (4), 74. Some look very much like x Gasteraloe rather than
x Gasterhaworthia.

The plants below in my collection today originated from vegetative material first distributed by Rowley from plants received from the introducer Howard Gates from California in the 1950s are what I consider to be the true article. The amount of tubercles and leaf colour are quite distinctive.

Maybe a lot can happen in the intervening 65 years, particularly in the nursery trade?

Tony, your plants certainly look like Gasteria x Haworthiopsis cross, which incidentally I think now needs a new nothogeneric name.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I now agree with you Tony. The plant depicted in my hyperlink was almost certainly not 'Royal Highness' as claimed.

Now there's an opportunity, get your name behind a new nothogenus, no type specimens needed.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Indeed, I was just about to reply that Gordon beat me to it by some six years.
Bless Gordon Rowley RIP.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

I feel Gasworthiopsis may catch on even more slowly than Haworthiopsis. :shock:
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL