New Cactus

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
User avatar
Zigs
BCSS Member
Posts: 18
Joined: 04 Nov 2020
Branch: DOVER
Country: United Kingdom

New Cactus

Post by Zigs » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:01 pm

Hi Everyone :smile:

Saw this on the wrong shelf at the garden centre so just had to buy it :grin:
DSC04535.JPG
I think it might be an Oreocereus celsianus?

Anyone else got any ideas?
User avatar
Stuart
BCSS Member
Posts: 1336
Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District
Country: England

Re: New Cactus

Post by Stuart » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:16 pm

There's five separate plants in the pot.

Stuart
User avatar
MatDz
BCSS Member
Posts: 979
Joined: 06 May 2020
Branch: None
Country: PL/GB
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: New Cactus

Post by MatDz » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:28 pm

Would fit the "plant identification thread" quite well.
Mat

Based in London, slowly expanding my modest C&S collection. In love with P. compactum & Co. and columnar Crassulas.
User avatar
Stuart
BCSS Member
Posts: 1336
Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District
Country: England

Re: New Cactus

Post by Stuart » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:52 pm

Most of the plant identification requests on the Forum are for Dutch plants bought from garden centres and DIY stores etc. There's probably no more than about 50 different plants grown in large quantities in Holland. Somewhere, back in the distant past, there was a useful link on the Forum to a website that showed all the mass-produced Dutch plants along with their names. It wasn't on one of the large commercial nursery websites where they often show plants with incorrect names, but something that someone had put online to help identify mass-produced nursery plants. It's on the Forum somewhere but I'm not sure where to find it.

Stuart
User avatar
Chris L
BCSS Member
Posts: 1983
Joined: 11 Oct 2009
Branch: MANCHESTER
Country: England
Role within the BCSS: Member
Location: Lancashire, England
Contact:

Re: New Cactus

Post by Chris L » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:15 am

Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
Read my Anglesey Circular Walk Kindle eBook for FREE https://amzn.to/34i18qF
User avatar
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Posts: 532
Joined: 02 Jun 2012
Branch: DUBLIN
Country: Ireland
Role within the BCSS: Member
Location: Ireland

Re: New Cactus

Post by habanerocat » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:17 am

Zigs wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:01 pm
Hi Everyone :smile:

Saw this on the wrong shelf at the garden centre so just had to buy it :grin:

DSC04535.JPG

I think it might be an Oreocereus celsianus?

Anyone else got any ideas?
There was a similar one on Facebook recently which had no roots. So check for the usual bugs.
User avatar
MatDz
BCSS Member
Posts: 979
Joined: 06 May 2020
Branch: None
Country: PL/GB
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: New Cactus

Post by MatDz » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:49 pm

Chris L wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:15 am
Is this it?

https://www.arianecactus.be/plantenlijs ... al=en&id=1
Even if not, much appreciated!
Mat

Based in London, slowly expanding my modest C&S collection. In love with P. compactum & Co. and columnar Crassulas.
User avatar
Zigs
BCSS Member
Posts: 18
Joined: 04 Nov 2020
Branch: DOVER
Country: United Kingdom

Re: New Cactus

Post by Zigs » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:09 pm

Stuart wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:16 pm
There's five separate plants in the pot.

Stuart
I can see that thank you :smile:
User avatar
Zigs
BCSS Member
Posts: 18
Joined: 04 Nov 2020
Branch: DOVER
Country: United Kingdom

Re: New Cactus

Post by Zigs » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:10 pm

MatDz wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:28 pm
Would fit the "plant identification thread" quite well.
Yes, first thing I looked for was an identification section. Looked again, still can't see where it's hidden.
User avatar
Zigs
BCSS Member
Posts: 18
Joined: 04 Nov 2020
Branch: DOVER
Country: United Kingdom

Re: New Cactus

Post by Zigs » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:12 pm

Stuart wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:52 pm
Most of the plant identification requests on the Forum are for Dutch plants bought from garden centres and DIY stores etc. There's probably no more than about 50 different plants grown in large quantities in Holland. Somewhere, back in the distant past, there was a useful link on the Forum to a website that showed all the mass-produced Dutch plants along with their names. It wasn't on one of the large commercial nursery websites where they often show plants with incorrect names, but something that someone had put online to help identify mass-produced nursery plants. It's on the Forum somewhere but I'm not sure where to find it.

Stuart
Thank you Stuart.
Post Reply