Strombocactus disciformis seedling advice  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
curtuk
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CHESTER & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Strombocactus disciformis seedling advice

Post by curtuk »

Hi all.
This is my first post.
I'm in Cheshire in the UK. I've got a pot of 6-month old Strombocactus disciformis seedlings that are only 2-3mm across and am wondering how best to get them through the winter. They're currently in an unheated greenhouse. Will they cope where they are, being treated like adult cacti with no water through the winter, or would it be best to bring them indoors and gently water through the winter? Or something else?
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Strombocactus disciformis seedling advice  Solved

Post by Aiko »

Just a light splash every month or so should get them through winter, if you keep them at a cool place. The warmer they are, they more water they need, but also the more light they need as water plus warmth might initiate them to start growing. This is not what you want if you lack good light intensity (risk of etiolation).

Keep them as cool as possible (preferably above freezing, although they should take a few degrees of frost) and a light splash once a month is enough. You could keep them in the dark during winter this way, if you want.

I bring my plants in around late November / early December and bring them into an unheated room. In the middle of March they go back to the greenhouse. One year old seedlings get a very little bit of water about three times during the winter to prevent the most severe drought of the little bodies. Anything bigger than half a centimeter gets no water at all.
curtuk
BCSS Member
Branch: CHESTER & District

Re: Strombocactus disciformis seedling advice

Post by curtuk »

Thanks Aiko; much appreciated.