Is it my imagination or ..... ?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Is it my imagination or ..... ?

Post by el48tel »

Has anyone else had a real battle this year with mealie bug?
It seems like it's been a constant, almost daily war against them. You clear one area of the GH. You think they are under control. You look the following morning to find their complete army has set up camp on another shelf which was clear previously.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Is it my imagination or ..... ?

Post by edds »

Exactly the same for me Terry. I've even considered whether the strength of the SKB invigorator needs upping as it just doesn't seem to be doing the job even with regular repeated applications.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

Absolutely! I usually find some on Astrophytum hybrids (heavily flecked ones), and was very upset to find they had spread into a tray alongside. I had some quite heavily infested Echinocereus, and even binned a couple that were probably beyond saving. I use Bug Clear Ultra spray on them (and now have the Smart spray too) as I don’t think SB Invigorator is very effective.

I’m sure this year’s weather has been a good breeding year for them, so extra vigilance is going to be needed from now on.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
JonNo
BCSS Member

Post by JonNo »

Ooooh yes! It was said on here a few weeks ago that the proper way to administer SB is to apply it on two consecutive days, the first day to strip the waxy layer off the little blighters and the second day to smother them. So I did just that, then a fortnight later did the same again, and a fortnight after that too. And a week later there are newly hatched ones zipping about... I mix my own spray from the concentrate, and have doubled the strength, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I applied Bug Clear Ultra yesterday and am back on level one vigilance...
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

I've not looked...... (safest way). It is the time of year for them to come out in force.

I am going to have to have a look in the next day or so - trouble is getting stuff out of the GH (i.e on the floor) without it (or me) getting soaked in the rain.

Meths is the only way I fear.
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

And it’s a yes from me.

Indeed, the meths has been in regular use.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

As I posted here before, I was clear for many years but then had an outbreak in established plants well away from the door and my quarantine area. They must be able to lie dormant. I know the males can fly but.....

If they are on the plant then they're going to be down around the neck of it also. So you need to get them out of the pot to have a good look.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Glad its not just me I used to mark odd plants with a red label if I spotted a mealie now I may as well mark the odd plant that I don't see one on.
SBK does not have an insecticide in the ingredients does it ?.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

I’ve not had mealie in my collection for about 10 years but this year I have had an outbreak of root mealy thanks to a non succulent infested plant that I overwintered in the greenhouse. That’ll teach me to be more careful! Affected plants have been depotted and dipped in acetamiprid
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

I have hopefully totally eradicated root and normal mealies. I rarely obtain plants other than from seed and try to be quite strict about preventative treatment and quarantining any acquisitions. Plants are normally kept in small groups in trays etc, rather than just placed on a a bench etc. so if there is a root mealy outbreak, it is hard for it to spread beyond its group. Fingers crossed..
Ali Baba's post is a good reminder not to get complacent.