New Agave book

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Stuart
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRISTOL

Re: New Agave book

Post by Stuart »

Jeff Moore has a small nursery on Pacific Coast Highway at Solana Beach though it's mostly outdoors around the side of his house. His previous books have been mostly aimed at the US market, mostly on outdoor gardening with succulents. This latest book looks to be more detailed than usual, might be worth a look next time I'm there. It would seem strange if he doesn't arrange to send some to Keith though. There's no point in self-publishing and keeping a garage full of them.

Stuart
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

Jeremy says that he hasn't found a cheaper way to send one book. A friend ordered one and it cost £50.21 including shipping, which isn't that scary. However if he gets clobbered for VAT and import duty that would push up the cost a fair bit. Not entirely sure how that works and if it is a thing. he must have it by now so I'll ask.

I've asked Jeremy about the cost of selling multiples and also the possiblity of a reseller's discount so that maybe Keith can get involved if the numbers work out.

If all else fails maybe you can just take an extra suitcase with you, Stuart, and hide a few copies inside your undies.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by edds »

Got a reply back from Keith.

He has made enquiries with a contact in the states and is hoping to get some but not sure when nor at what cost.

Will be interesting to see what Jeremy says about sending a batch over.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

My friend got his book today, no extra import charges. And a car sticker inside :) That's gotta sway it!

I'm not entirly sure I got a clear answer from Jeremy. He said it would cost the same per book no matter how many are ordered but I have asked hiom to clarify that as it doesn't make sense to me. I mean if it costs 25 bucks to send one book it surely wouldn't cost 250 bucks to send 10.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Paul in Essex wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:47 pm I'm not entirly sure I got a clear answer from Jeremy. He said it would cost the same per book no matter how many are ordered but I have asked hiom to clarify that as it doesn't make sense to me. I mean if it costs 25 bucks to send one book it surely wouldn't cost 250 bucks to send 10.
Good news on your friend's book.

Yeah, that doesn't make sense unless he's planning to send them all individually. Had a quick look on a shipping rates site and they reckon a 1lb package (the weight of the book according to Moore's shop) will cost about £13 with FedEx (obviously that's just shipping, no packaging).

A 10lb package will only cost £60!

I know there's more to it than that but it can't be a flat cost, surely?
Ed

BCSS member 53038
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Paul in Essex wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:24 am However if he gets clobbered for VAT and import duty that would push up the cost a fair bit.
Last time I checked, books are not subject to import duty and zero rated for VAT.

I received one from Germany today with no added costs.

I'd also be up for a copy of he Agave book if we can get a bulk shipment sent over for a reasonable price.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

edds wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:05 pm Good news on your friend's book.

Yeah, that doesn't make sense unless he's planning to send them all individually. Had a quick look on a shipping rates site and they reckon a 1lb package (the weight of the book according to Moore's shop) will cost about £13 with FedEx (obviously that's just shipping, no packaging).

A 10lb package will only cost £60!

I know there's more to it than that but it can't be a flat cost, surely?
Well, according to Jeremy just now that is exactly how it works out. Price is simply by weight with no bulk reductions. So it is either wait for Amazon to snap up the unsold ones or suck it up, it seems. I will most likely suck it up and order one shortly.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

ralphrmartin wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:20 pm Last time I checked, books are not subject to import duty and zero rated for VAT.
That explains that - thanks Ralph.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

I've sent an email to Solana Succulents to see if they can ship it any cheaper if we order 10 copies.

Did your friend get the hardback or softback version?
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

I'm guessing softcover.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.