in the words of Marvin Gaye...

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
habanerocat
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: EDENBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: in the words of Marvin Gaye...

Post by habanerocat »

MikeT wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:00 pm Is that a mouse dropping among the gravel?
A mouse with constipation......
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

habanerocat wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:20 am A mouse with constipation......
We have field mice in the garden, and every now and then get one (or more) in the house. The droppings are always hard, I presume to minimise water loss. If the Lobivia is 2cm, then the 'dropping' is about 2mm, so size would be right. Tricky to gauge the texture from the photo. Certainly can't see any mouse teeth marks on the plants.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
JonNo
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by JonNo »

MikeT wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:18 pm
habanerocat wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:20 am A mouse with constipation......
We have field mice in the garden, and every now and then get one (or more) in the house. The droppings are always hard, I presume to minimise water loss. If the Lobivia is 2cm, then the 'dropping' is about 2mm, so size would be right. Tricky to gauge the texture from the photo. Certainly can't see any mouse teeth marks on the plants.
Eek! My other half is obsessively house proud and always looking for reasons to do away with my little collection, which she hates with a passion... If she got even a whiff of your theory that would undoubtedly be that..!

We too get the occasional field mouse in the garden, but I'm absolutely sure none have made their way into the house. Even so, I will investigate the "suspect" bits of stone a little further just for peace of mind..!
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

JonNo wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:49 pm Eek! My other half is obsessively house proud and always looking for reasons to do away with my little collection, which she hates with a passion... If she got even a whiff of your theory that would undoubtedly be that..!
So why would you want to remove a plant that gives warning of mice being about? It would be like getting rid of a smoke detector because it lets you know there's smoke, and you don't like smoke. The detector doesn't cause what's it's warning about. If there do turn out to be any mice, it proves that you need more cacti as your early warning system.

Along with all the other reasons for needing more cacti.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
JonNo
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by JonNo »

MikeT wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:44 pm
JonNo wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:49 pm Eek! My other half is obsessively house proud and always looking for reasons to do away with my little collection, which she hates with a passion... If she got even a whiff of your theory that would undoubtedly be that..!
So why would you want to remove a plant that gives warning of mice being about? It would be like getting rid of a smoke detector because it lets you know there's smoke, and you don't like smoke. The detector doesn't cause what's it's warning about. If there do turn out to be any mice, it proves that you need more cacti as your early warning system.

Along with all the other reasons for needing more cacti.
An excellent argument - that would be dismissed in seconds..!