Echeveria Compton carousel

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Patrick
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOMERSET

Echeveria Compton carousel

Post by Patrick »

Can anybody tell me what is going on here? This was developing into a lovely multi headed plant and now one head is gone altogether :sad:

I understood they like heat (it's been hot here in Portugal) but not too much direct sun (it's been out side and had some shade) and is regularly watered. I'd think maybe not enough water but I've also had E.cante go from a lovely big plant to a rotten stem which made me think too much water, they were both next to each other. Any ideas? Will it grow back? Any tips for E.cante, a beautiful plant but in pots it doesn't seem so easy to keep it looking good. I've got one that's been in a raised bed outside all winter and summer in full sun, which looks great.
IMG_0475.jpeg
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: Echeveria Compton carousel

Post by MikeT »

Do you get vine weevils in Portugal?
If the answer is 'yes', I'd tip it out of its pot and check the roots.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by edds »

I've found Compton's Carousel to be fairly temperamental as well. I'm my care, I've found that if it gets too dry over winter the leaves shrivel up but if you water it the roots rot!

Mike's tip on vine weevils is a good one and they can eat out the whole inside of the stem and track their way up.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Patrick
BCSS Member

Post by Patrick »

MikeT wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:07 pm Do you get vine weevils in Portugal?
If the answer is 'yes', I'd tip it out of its pot and check the roots.
I've no idea if we get vine weevils here but I checked the roots and there is no sign
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Patrick
BCSS Member

Post by Patrick »

edds wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:39 pm I've found Compton's Carousel to be fairly temperamental as well. I'm my care, I've found that if it gets too dry over winter the leaves shrivel up but if you water it the roots rot!
Maybe it did just get too dry at some point although it definitely hasn't been recently and it doesn't seem to have stopped the process!
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by edds »

I think the best one I have ever seen was Diane's or Juster's - hopefully one of them will see your thread and share some of the secrets to keeping them looking amazing! My friend grows them really well but swears he's just doing the same as me with vastly different results!!!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Patrick
BCSS Member

Post by Patrick »

I found this statement in a discussion on a Californian site where the weather conditions are similar to here

"I read a blog on CC's yesterday and the guy has tons of them. He said they like less water and less actual sun, but bright light."

Mine has had some direct sun as the sun has got lower so that could be the issue.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

From Southfield Nurseries FAQS
Water it just like a cactus during the summer months, then give very occasional, light (spoonfuls) waterings in the winter. This plant likes a sunny position, but requires slight shade when the weather is very hot.
https://cactusland.co.uk/faq.php?section=0

I think mice managed to kill my large plant, they nibbled a few leaves, I tried saving a few offsets and healthy leaves but the mice must have transferred something nasty to the plant as two weeks later every bit was dead. Have managed to keep replacement (from Southfield) alive for one year so far
Patrick
BCSS Member

Post by Patrick »

Jim_Mercer wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:30 pm From Southfield Nurseries FAQS
Water it just like a cactus during the summer months, then give very occasional, light (spoonfuls) waterings in the winter. This plant likes a sunny position, but requires slight shade when the weather is very hot.
https://cactusland.co.uk/faq.php?section=0
Thanks Jim, Translating that to my conditions it probably does mean that my plant has had too much sun and too much water