Brexit deal and imports

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
esp
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Brexit deal and imports

Post by esp »

The situation is asymmetric at the moment - different rules apply on UK imports vs exports for C&S seed.

The EU requires seed imports from the UK to be accompanied by a phyto certificate.
The UK does not require a PC for seeds imports from EU until 1/7/21, under transitional arrangements.
Davey246
Registered Guest
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Davey246 »

Which is in contradiction to what the gov.uk website, and elsewhere, states.

Anyone want something from the horse's mouth - drop an email to DEFRA, as I did.
esp
BCSS Member

Post by esp »

Davey246 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:30 am Which is in contradiction to what the gov.uk website, and elsewhere, states.

Anyone want something from the horse's mouth - drop an email to DEFRA, as I did.
I have no idea what you are talking about. It would be helpful if you could provide relevant links, if they exist.
The phased introduction of PCs is set out here, and elsewhere on DEFRA's website:

https://planthealthportal.defra.gov.uk/ ... -and-2022/
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Since Brexit, there's been two different government departments to deal with for importing plants, DEFRA and HMRC, most, if not all of the discussion of the Forum has concerned DEFRA. There's also HMRC and on four occasions, their phone helpline has given me four quite different procedures for using their CHIEF computer system for declaring plants and paying VAT on them. The PEACH people in York from DEFRA have always been helpful and seem to know what they're talking about. It's all been a bit of a mess and, with COVID, very few of us have had a chance to test the system.

Stuart
Davey246
Registered Guest

Post by Davey246 »

If you go back far enough, seeds were essentially uncontrolled EXCEPT FOR CITES.

It must be at least 25 years ago now but (probably) DEFRA contacted the BCSS stating that they were aware that large numbers of seeds from CITES 1 species were being sent to the UK from Mesa Garden/Steve Brack without CITES papers and they would, in future, be far more strict about requirements for CITES (commonly called permits or licences, but actually exemption certificates - known in short as A10's as they are certificates that exempt the trade from article 10 of CITES). This was printed in the journal. CITES A10 certificates used to be free. They are not now, as of something like 10 years ago.
I have some A10's from a LONG time ago, covering Ariocarpus seeds from Mesa Garden.

I have no idea if applicable to any plant(s)/seeds, but some CITES-listed species of animal are exempt from requirements for A10's as they are covered by what is known as an open general licence, which is effectively an A10 issued by DEFRA to everyone as a whole in the UK (except, presumably, NI). These are issued for many species, rare in the wild but common in captivity and hence unlikely to be smuggled or otherwise illegally traded - several pheasant species would be good examples.

So, there are three considerations - phyto-sanitary (charged in orgin country and around £25-35 per shipment), CITES (I am not sure how it works for plants/seeds but for animals it is something like £20 per species), and actual import costs. Import costs are VAT at standard rate, plus any applicable duty (usually small - 2-3-4%), plus a handling fee which generally vary £10-15 per shipment. Import charges are against the TOTAL cost of import, not just what has been paid for what is being imported.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

Davey246 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:30 am Which is in contradiction to what the gov.uk website, and elsewhere, states.

Here it is (again):
MatDz wrote:According to https://planthealthportal.defra.gov.uk/ ... -and-2022/ :
  • Prior to 1 July 2022 "all other plants, plant products and other objects from the EU, Liechtenstein and Switzerland, which are categorised as "regulated and notifiable" (article 72 goods) will require "pre-notification but not a PC" and the "regulated" category doesn't require any of them.
  • After that date, "all plants, plant products and other objects categorised as either "regulated and notifiable" or "regulated" must be accompanied by a PC."
Then, https://planthealthportal.defra.gov.uk/ ... uary-2022/ , under category "Seeds for planting" lists a few positions as "Regulated and Notifiable", and the catch-all position of "All other seed intended for planting" is listed as "Regulated", which clearly falls into the "PC required only after 1 July 2022" category.

Is my understanding above correct?
SM-APHA-Plant Health Info (PHD) wrote: Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your email.

As cactus seeds fall under “all other seeds intended for planting” that is correct.

For guidance on importing plant and plant products from EU countries to the UK, please see the following link: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/import-plan ... or-imports
Mat
Christian
BCSS Member

Post by Christian »

It‘s worth checking fees with the exporter as they can vary considerably. For a phyto, I believe Ingo Breuer will charge 50 Euros, others in the same German region will charge 125 Euros, Haage from Memory charge 80 Euros. Cites export permits for appendix 1 plants or seeds are also costly and come on top of that. Cactus Moravia are still sending seed with a phyto and this is free. Once the UK regime of import controls kicks in properly, inspection fees will be payable here as well. I am not sure it‘ll be worth the hassle for the relatively few seeds (or plants) one tends to order from abroad at any one time…
Member of Birmingham Branch
http://birmingham.bcss.org.uk/
Davey246
Registered Guest

Post by Davey246 »

You also need CITES for IMPORT as well as export - hence the warning all those years ago from DEFRA and the A10s here for import from Mesa Garden. I also have import CITES papers for captive-bred birds. In the case of livestock the USA certainly would not issue export papers and allow export without corresponding import papers being produced first; obviously not so for seeds way back when I was involved last.

The tags embedded in imported tree ferns (easily missed if you don't know about them), are also all to do with CITES

High charges for papers are often just "please do not ask or bother me" by another route. That said, friends in Belgium and the Netherlands complain bitterly about CITES charges, though I've not asked what they are.
Christian
BCSS Member

Post by Christian »

Davey246 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:55 pm You also need CITES for IMPORT as well as export
Yes you do, but you only need those permits for appendix 1 plants(such as Ariocarpus), or that is what continental nurseries such as Haage will tell you. That might be different to animals (not sure how cites works for the trade in those).
Member of Birmingham Branch
http://birmingham.bcss.org.uk/
Davey246
Registered Guest

Post by Davey246 »

Sorry - imprecise - only App. 1 need A10''s, no matter the species/phylum.

I didn't mean to imply that everything does.