BCSS Seed List December 2021

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LINCOLN
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: BCSS Seed List December 2021

Post by Cidermanrolls »

Germination of the Lithops seed is brilliant. I have seedlings in 35 out of 36 pots.
Don’t ask about the cactus seeds though…….
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Cidermanrolls wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:48 am Germination of the Lithops seed is brilliant. I have seedlings in 35 out of 36 pots.
I never bothered with Lithops this time .... only half of the 2020 purchase came up ... and I managed to kill the remainder with damping off between 6 and 13 November. I can't grow them. Full stop. But my daughter germinates them and grows them like cress!
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

el48tel wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:58 am I never bothered with Lithops this time .... only half of the 2020 purchase came up ... and I managed to kill the remainder with damping off between 6 and 13 November. I can't grow them. Full stop. But my daughter germinates them and grows them like cress!
Join me in the club, the same with Conophytums, but I'm giving them another chance soon. Maybe I should only grow Haworthias...
Mat
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

MatDz wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:27 am
el48tel wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:58 am I never bothered with Lithops this time .... only half of the 2020 purchase came up ... and I managed to kill the remainder with damping off between 6 and 13 November. I can't grow them. Full stop. But my daughter germinates them and grows them like cress!
Join me in the club, the same with Conophytums, but I'm giving them another chance soon. Maybe I should only grow Haworthias...
I might (or not) from the MSG.
Speaking of Haworthia ..... similar. But I did have a bad experience with one seed order early last year. But all others plus the recent one have been OK.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

el48tel wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:58 am
Cidermanrolls wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:48 am Germination of the Lithops seed is brilliant. I have seedlings in 35 out of 36 pots.
I never bothered with Lithops this time .... only half of the 2020 purchase came up ... and I managed to kill the remainder with damping off between 6 and 13 November. I can't grow them. Full stop.
Probably things will be easier if you grow them from spring onwards. I would never sow them in the second half of the year. They will probably be too tiny to get through winter.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Aiko wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:57 pm
el48tel wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:58 am
I never bothered with Lithops this time .... only half of the 2020 purchase came up ... and I managed to kill the remainder with damping off between 6 and 13 November. I can't grow them. Full stop.
Probably things will be easier if you grow them from spring onwards. I would never sow them in the second half of the year. They will probably be too tiny to get through winter.
Agreed.
That's what I tried last time and would try again .... modified.
MikeDom
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by MikeDom »

100% germination of Pachypodium seeds which is unusual. Seeds arrived very dry. Kept for 3 days in a ziplock bag with a wet piece of kitchen roll at a constant 40 Deg C., then sown and into the propagator at 30 Deg C, and most were up within 2 days. The picture shows them at 6 days old, still living in the propagator under Sunblaster lights.
IMG_3753.jpg
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

MikeDom wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:26 pm 100% germination of Pachypodium seeds which is unusual. Seeds arrived very dry. Kept for 3 days in a ziplock bag with a wet piece of kitchen roll at a constant 40 Deg C., then sown and into the propagator at 30 Deg C, and most were up within 2 days. The picture shows them at 6 days old, still living in the propagator under Sunblaster lights.

IMG_3753.jpg
Noted
cactusK
Registered Guest

Post by cactusK »

I'd read that Pachypodium seeds are very short-lived so I decided to plant half the packet of geayi now in case they weren't still viable when I do most of my seeds in April. I put them in water and they quickly swelled up, so it looks like they all could germinate. I don't usually use a heated propagator, but I'm now wondering if I should for these.

I've got a few of the Fockea edulis soaking in water at the moment too.

I planted most of the winter-growing succulents this week and I have seedlings of Aloinopsis and Crassula already. I bet more will be up when I check tomorrow.

Pachypodium geayi seeds
Pachypodium geayi seeds
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

cactusK wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:57 am I planted most of the winter-growing succulents this week and I have seedlings of Aloinopsis and Crassula already. I bet more will be up when I check tomorrow.
Aloinopsis is not winter active. Well, maybe in habitat, but up here you can (more) easily grow them in spring, summer and autumn. I keep mine completely dry in winter and keep them in an unheated greenhouse. They can survive -10C to -15C, as we had a few nights in february a year ago.