From Germany

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ray_M
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH NORFOLK
Role within the BCSS: Website Administrator

Re: From Germany

Post by Ray_M » Fri May 15, 2009 7:26 pm

Smashing photos Winston,thanks for taking the time to share them.What's the wonderful prickly thing in the second picture?Cheers,Ray.
Ray Mitchell,member of South Norfolk group.living on Suffolk/Norfolk border,near Diss.Keen on all cacti and succulents,alpines and other plants.BCSS member since 07.Visitors welcome,PM first please.
Josse
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Josse » Fri May 15, 2009 10:57 pm

Beautiful plant show! I've really enjoyed your pictures, in particular the fat ones. Liked that excellent grown Adenia glauca-real ruler I'd say..::o
Thanks Winston.

Josse
Josse
kaowinston
Registered Guest

Post by kaowinston » Sat May 16, 2009 9:01 pm

Hello Ray

All I know is that it is an Opuntia. When I took that photo in Munich there was no label attached. I am hoping that someone outhere will come up with the answer.
kaowinston
Registered Guest

Post by kaowinston » Sat May 16, 2009 9:06 pm

Hello Josse

That is the reason why I mentioned Exotica Nursery. They have some some absolutely superb fat-plants. I have visited a few times, and it is reallly an education.
lancer99

Post by lancer99 » Sun May 17, 2009 5:55 am

I would hazard a guess, based on the color and spacing of the spines, that it's Cylindropuntia molesta, but I'm usually wrong :)

-R
Tony R
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Tony R » Sun May 17, 2009 10:26 am

I would agree with Cylindropuntia molesta - my specimens aren't as big as this though! It makes a very attractive plant if you "bonsai" it, and it flowers.
Tony Roberts
Chairman, BCSS Dartford Branch
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
kaowinston
Registered Guest

Post by kaowinston » Sun May 17, 2009 5:08 pm

Hello Tony

You could be right. I have had a look at google and came up with some similiar variations. The one problem I had with th C. molesta I saw, was that the spines were not as golden coloured as the one I saw in Munich.