Unknown: possibly a Mamm?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
matchat
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SCUNTHORPE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Unknown: possibly a Mamm?

Post by matchat »

Having spent the past hour browsing through a number of old pictures I came across this picture of a plant that remains unidentified in my collection. As this delightful little chap has survived under my care for over 2 years now, and given me great pleasure, I think it's only courteous that I find out his name.

As mentioned in my title I thought that he might possibly be a Mamm, maybe related to M.saboae? Just a gut feeling on my part.

[attachment 22435 Unknown.jpg]

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Attachments
Unknown.jpg
Unknown.jpg (68.76 KiB) Viewed 1564 times
David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Unknown: possibly a Mamm?

Post by David_L »

Maybe Mammillaria deherdtiana ssp deherdtiana. I have a similar plant as a seedling that hasn't flowered yet. It also fits with the picture of this species in John Pilbeam's Mammillaria book (page 84). A very nice plant and tricky on its own roots.
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
Tony R

Post by Tony R »

Matthew, I agree with David. It's a lovely plant, one of those little gems! Look after it, for I am good at losing it too!
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGHLANDS
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

Yes, care for it well. I lose them too Tony!
I'm starting to think that these species from Oaxaca need more warmth and moisture than I tend to give, once the spring really comes. I've read reports of deherdtiana growing in mossy hollows on rocks, which would tend to support this. One day I'll be brave enough to try! Moss as a top dressing would really be something new.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
matchat
BCSS Member
Branch: SCUNTHORPE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by matchat »

Thanks again for your help everyone - much appreciated.

I fear now that ignorance may have been bliss, I haven't really given it any special treatment thus far and when last repotted it was 'own roots' so I shall cross my fingers and carry on as I have been doing.
David_L
BCSS Member

Post by David_L »

Yes in my experience its more difficult to keep than ssp. dodsonii, also a nice plant. I have never managed to get ssp deherdtiana beyond a small solitary plant whereas ssp. dodsonii clumps readily and isn't too much trouble if you are wary with the watering can. I have some seedling ssp. deherdtianas and this time I've grafted one onto Opuntia compressa as a safeguard.
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.