More forums or not?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!

More Forums

Poll ended at Tue May 11, 2010 9:04 pm

1. Leave it as it is.
60%
2. Split to separate forums for cacti and succulents.
16%
3. Open up the library forums.
5%
4. Species forum for the more popular species.
2%
5. 2 & 3
No votes
6. 2 & 4
7%
7. 3 & 4
No votes
8. 2, 3 & 4
No votes
9. Something else (please explain)
9%

Total votes: 43
Bill
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: More forums or not?

Post by Bill »

In a round about way there is Stephen, the final option and post as you have done. PM sent.

Bill
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Paul D »

I like it fine in the current incarnation- a vote for an additional category though, a "what is it?" section where we can post pics of our unknown specimens for others to identify- I have lots of these, being a relative newbie and prone to "rescuing" badly treated and un-named plants from others. I'm sure other members have a few unknown specimens too. I'm hesitant to clutter up the main discussion with them.
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Paul D wrote:I'm hesitant to clutter up the main discussion with them.
Oh, don't be. As a compromise, you could put all your photos in one thread if there are lots. In my experience, identification threads can often spin off into interesting discussions about the plants anyway.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by IanW »

I agree with Phil, I've probably learnt more here from ID threads than other types of thread! ID threads are often the most interesting to me.
Hob
Registered Guest
Branch: SOUTH NORFOLK

Post by Hob »

did i miss something or not :???: we seem to have lost our links to the branches and events pages :?: while updating my post on another forum recommending branches and events and membership of the BCSS i had to use my bookmarks to find the pages so i could link to them....if i missed them here are they prominent enough ??
maybe a sticky post to the events page would be in order in the events section?
regards hob
hob BCSS 49009 member of the south Norfolk branch
suffolk england
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

The usual links are at the bottom of the page where they were on the old forum, also the logo at the top links to the home page of the society website. There will be a new menu coming soon that will be near the top of the page but it's tied up with working out the page coding and the new web site.

Bill
Hob
Registered Guest
Branch: SOUTH NORFOLK

Post by Hob »

Bill wrote:The usual links are at the bottom of the page where they were on the old forum,

Bill
Ok thanks Bill i see them now :grin: .........still might be useful to have a sticky in the events section though to provide a higher profile to them, i try to promote membership and events/branches on my other forum when i can with the active consent of the forum owner :wink:
hob BCSS 49009 member of the south Norfolk branch
suffolk england
Sheila
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Sheila »

Hi,

I'd also like to support the idea of a forum specifically for plant ID. I've posted a couple of requests recently, and I have more to come. I also agree that they can lead to interesting discussion of the plants in question.
Sheila
Editor - Cactus and Succulent Review
https://www.cactusandsucculentreview.org.uk
Born in Essex – growing in the world