'Places to Visit in the UK'

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
EddieA
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTH SURREY
Role within the BCSS: Member

'Places to Visit in the UK'

Post by EddieA »

Inspired by Iain's thread http://www.bcss.org.uk/foruma/viewtopic ... 1&t=114719
Could this forum and the BCSS keep a list of 'Places To Visit in the UK' for succulent (inc Cacti) lovers?
Maybe a separate forum area where members supply photos of the places they visit in the UK and each topic was a photo essay of the place being recommended (or not recommended as the case may be)?
Not the same as 'Travelogues' section but specifically for gardens to visit in the UK. Maybe the topic heading could be something in the format of' Location: Name', e.g. 'Aberdeen, Winter Gardens' then if we were planning a day out we could check for gardens in the area which feature Succulents.
If all the reviews were in one place I'm sure it would benefit members and would be very useful for visitor's to Britain too.
Starting with Iain's Aberdeen visit (more photos please).
Or does it already exist somewhere?
What do people think - Would it be useful?
Special interests: Aloes, Crassula, Epiphytic Cacti & Hoya
North Surrey BCSS Member
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Re: 'Places to Visit in the UK' forum?

Post by IanW »

Sounds like a good idea, I bump into cacti in all sorts of places. I didn't realise Chester Zoo had a nice little collection for example, in fact it even had BCSS leaflets so I wonder if someone in the BCSS looks after it?

It's not massive or something you'd go out the way for, but if you're going to the zoo then it's absolutely well worth a look- some stunning plants in the collection including some of my favourites I've not seen decent specimens of elsewhere (i.e. a superb specimen of Cipocereus bradei).

It would be nice to have a list (or perhaps a Google map?) of all the possible places you can find collections.
LithopsRule
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by LithopsRule »

I third this excellent suggestion (tu) following on from the earlier thread http://www.bcss.org.uk/foruma/viewtopic ... 1&t=114719

Seems to me that the easiest way would be for everyone to send in details of cactus-and-succulent sites near / known to them, including the address of the place and any web-link if at all possible. The resulting compilation could then be handed to the BCSS to put up on the website somewhere.

Unless someone proper and official from the BCSS wants to jump on this task, I am happy to volunteer to receive the data and compile it into a standardised format for sharing. Just email me your favorite cactus garden sites on euan.arnott@btinternet.com.

Compiling things gives me a productive outlet for my OCD.

In the first instance we can just attach the on-going list to this Forum Thread?

Yours, Euan

PS I am off to Chester Zoo tomorrow, as luck would hae it, and always enjoy the little cactus house there: it would be nice to know WHO was running it, if it is someone from the BCSS.
Euan Arnott (Cheshire, UK)

Novice grower renewing his teenage enthusiasm. Rapidly burgeoning Lithops, Lophophora, and Ferocactus populations, plus a few old stalwarts which have acompanied me through the years!
EddieA
BCSS Member

Post by EddieA »

IanW
A Google map sounds like a good idea - then if anyone is making a journey somewhere a quick check on the map will show what's in that area.
Euan
I'd like some BCSS/mod input on this because I think it would be an excellent resource for members and I would like it under the auspices of BCSS.
Failing that maye we could cobble something together.
Let's see what response we get then take it from there.
Eddie
North Surrey BCSS Member
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Hi all
Yes this certainly a possibility but we have to be careful of not treading on the toes of potential advertisers for Cactus Mall which pays for this site. I will make some enquiries.

Bill
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

Bill and all,

FYI, Dirk Everaerd (a contributor to our Forum) shared his European Google map with us back in June 2009;

http://www.bcss.org.uk/foruma/viewtopic ... le#p152867

Here is a link to his map which I bookmarked, lots of European gardens and nurseries:

http://maps.google.be/maps/ms?client=fi ... 9b4f89&z=4

Cheers, Tony.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
EddieA
BCSS Member

Post by EddieA »

Hi Tony R
That Google map's a useful link to have but if we could do that for UK places to visit (not nurseries or retailers), and have a link that shows a photo essay of the place I think that would be really good.
Bill
In what way do you mean by 'treading on the toes of..' - I certainly don't want to harm this forum so the results of your enquiries will be important.
I expect we'd have to be careful about affecting any revenue Cactusmall makes by either replacing a function they provide or by criticizing their advertiser's .
Presumably retail businesses are listed on Cactusmall so hopefully we wouldn't be affecting them if we referred only to places to visit like gardens or permanent displays or even members who open their doors. Maybe if a retail business had a garden to visit then a section on their garden would be OK. And of course 'Guidelines' could be written up. But the pictures should tell the story.

I think a photo essay is much more useful than only a Google map entry because we can all see what it's like before we visit (not to mention it gives all the budding photographers a chance to show their skills :smile: )
People who visit it later can update the record.

Maybe also some comments on whether it merits a visit or not and why.

Eddie
North Surrey BCSS Member
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

This sounds like a really good idea to me as well. If the 'treading on toes' issue could be overcome it would be really good to useful those people who have collections and sell a few plants but do not really have a commercial nursery.(They tend to be the hardest to track down)
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
bcss
BCSS Publications & Web Manager
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District
Role within the BCSS: Website Administrator

Post by bcss »

I don't have any problems with this.

There is on the Cactus-Mall an international List of places to visit (mainly Botanic Gardens).

See http://www.cactus-mall.com/gardens.html

It only contains about half a dozen UK places so if a more complete list can be produced for the UK and placed on the BCSS site that would be good. It would have no financial impact on revenues to the Cactus-Mall as I don't derive any income from thes links.

A google map would be a good idea as people can look up directions etc.
Tony Mace
Publications Manager
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Thanks Tony.

Well over to you lot, I can set it up but I need information. We can have a google map embedded into a webpage like the branches and advertisers pages.

http://www.bcss.org.uk/branches.php

http://www.bcss.org.uk/nursery.php

And a link to the from the map to the thread about the garden/collection.

Bill

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.