'Places to Visit in the UK'

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
DaveW
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Re: 'Places to Visit in the UK' forum?

Post by DaveW »

Thanks Peter,

That would be interesting

I understand Brian Lamb's private collection is also on that coast, no doubt nearer to the Gibraltar Botanical Gardens where he works, but I don't think it is open to the public. Evidently he transported the bulk of Edgar Lamb's former Exotic collection to his new home there when he moved to Spain.

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Hedge
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Hedge »

A great garden in general is Yorkgate, a private garden managed by Perrenial, which is the new name for the Royal Gardeners Benevolent Society

York Gate Address

Back Church Lane,
Adel
Leeds
LS16 8DW

Entrance times and conditions at http://www.perennial.org.uk/york_gate_i ... ation.aspx

It has a small greenhouse with cacti and succulents recently taken over by a keen volunteer with some unusual South African succulents. The whole garden is well designed and beautifully kept. There are plants for sale.
Heather aka Hedge
.......you can grow a hedge that is vertically straight over ten feet tall (Alan Parsons Project)

Find me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Hedge.59

BCSS47069
Peter
BCSS Member

Post by Peter »

The RHS handbook mentions CAE HIR (Gerddi Cae Hir Gardens), Cribyn, Lampeter, Ceredigion, SA48 7NG, as having a bonsai enclosure also a cacti collection.

Has anybody been there? It's of interest to me just now because Mrs T and I are off to South Wales next week.

http://www.caehirgardens.com
Asclepiad Stevo
Registered Guest
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Asclepiad Stevo »

Is there any scope for including people who are willing to let guests peruse their private collections? If my rubbish collection was worth looking at, I'd love visitors. I thoroughly enjoy looking at even the most modest of collections, so long as the collector is receptive and happy to chat (and provide lots of freebies in the form of cuttings, seeds and "spares" :grin: Oh, and the odd gin and tonic :lol:

Very good idea, I say.
bcss
BCSS Publications & Web Manager
Role within the BCSS: Website Administrator

Post by bcss »

DaveW wrote:An international guide would be nice for Europe at least for people on holiday, both nurseries, botanical Gardens and even any collections open by prior appointment would be welcome. Dirk's map is a step forward, but some areas seem totally barren of cactus interest, although cactus and succulent societies supposedly exist in those countries and they are ideal cactus growing areas?

I noted when I was on the Costa del Sol there was nowhere for a cactophile to visit, as Dirks map shows, apart from the Botanical Gardens at Gibraltar and in the other direction not until El Eijdo, a 305km stretch by coastal motorway according to Google Maps. I am surprised the Spanish Society does not seem to cover the Costa Del Sol at all and the society link on Cactus Mall did not seem to reach anybody?

DaveW
Unfortunately many countries don't have/have never had a 'National Cactus Society' like ours and this includes Spain. All that exist are a few local clubs which tend to be relatively short lived. Even in France and Italy where the hobby is quite strong the societies are fragmented and tend not to cover the whole country. This makes information gathering difficult, but even more valuable if we can document places of interest and keep it up to date.

Nurseries are a slightly different problem. It must be remebered that to operate in some European countires, unlike the UK, nurseries have to be licenced. This makes it much more problematic for small start-up nurseries or people operating sales 'part-time'. In so far as they exist they tend not to want too much publicity to draw attention to themselves. There is also the factor that larger wholesale nurseries operating in these areas tend to discourage visitors so also don't advertise their existance.

Tony Mace
Tony Mace
Publications Manager
Bill

Post by Bill »

Asclepiad Stevo wrote:Is there any scope for including people who are willing to let guests peruse their private collections? If my rubbish collection was worth looking at, I'd love visitors. I thoroughly enjoy looking at even the most modest of collections, so long as the collector is receptive and happy to chat (and provide lots of freebies in the form of cuttings, seeds and "spares" :grin: Oh, and the odd gin and tonic :lol:

Very good idea, I say.
Yes there is Steve.

I must apologise this isn't up and running yet too much going on that the forum & website has had to take a bit of a back seat however, things are getting better and after ELK I'll get to work putting this together.
Asclepiad Stevo
Registered Guest

Post by Asclepiad Stevo »

Excellent, thanks Bill. Us cactophiles must meet more often.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Apicra wrote:Of course, Birmingham Botanical Gardens have a decent c&s greenhouse open for public access, near where the BCSS has held many shows:

http://www.birminghambotanicalgardens.o ... arid-house

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble,
Horrow Branch
I visited the Birmingham Botanical Gardens two weeks ago and as luck would have it the arid house was semi-closed as the collection is being rejigged. When I told them I had come specially to see it, they let me in but the display is not in the best of condition at present.

Rod
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
McFarland
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by McFarland »

What ever happened to this project? hope it didn't die! I'de love to go on a grand tour of england and visit everyones collections :lol:
dalesmatt
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by dalesmatt »

Some branches hold open house days, but I don't really know how they work. There's one on the Bradford Branch calendar for Sunday 1st July. I assume it's for people who have collections living quite close together?
Matt
Joined online :) Member number 49972. Bradford Branch.
Interests include South American cacti and spiny Euphorbias