Cactus hole dilemma

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
AnTTun
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Cactus hole dilemma

Post by AnTTun »

This gymno cardenasianum had some problem with rot. I have cleaned it, and it dried out nicely plus it started to grow roots:

Problem is that hole is about 1 cm deep and about 3 cms wide, and I'm affraid when I put it in soil and start watering, moisture will collect inside and it will rot again. Should I cut around the hole to make 'outer' surface even with deepest hole spot, fill hole with something, leave it be or...?
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Peter
BCSS Member

Re: Cactus hole dilemma

Post by Peter »

eerrmmm - sorry and all that, but I'd throw it away on the basis that it's not really worth the space it takes up. Either that, or start watering in the usual manner and see if it lives and starts to offset. G. Cardenasiums are pretty common so it's not some unique plant that needs to be saved at all costs.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

I wouldn't trim it. You could have a layer of very porous material up against the plant body if you feel it might be an issue, though I doubt it will be. Good luck (tu)
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
RichardM
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by RichardM »

Hmmmm, difficult one, is the rest of the plant in good shape? It may well die, but better to try and grow it on and hope its sends out some offsets, and start again with one of them. I would plent it in plenty of grit, seramis and compost mixture and treat as normal, cacti never cease to amaze me just how hardy they can be.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

With rot cavities that have dried up I usually pack the cavity with compost and then place the plant quickly onto the compost in the pot before it can fall out. That way the compost is in contact with the central vascular bundles where they root from.

Peter should be "drummed out of the Brownies and have his epaulets ripped off" for suggesting you ever throw any cactus away that may be saved! :shock: :eek:

DaveW :smile:
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Aloenut
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by Aloenut »

Sorry, I am with Peter on this one.

I have found that once a plant loses its roots, it is always suseptable to this sort of thing.
With my Aloes and Haworthias, if something loses its roots, I usually bin it. No sense in struggling to keep a common species going that can be easily replaced.
If it's something rare, then I have a go at re-rooting, but those never seem to make it anyway :cry:
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

This guy is 'my baby' :) I have sown it > 20 years ago, so I'm kinda attached to it, thats wy I'm trying to save it.
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
lobman
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Journal Team

Post by lobman »

I personally would not plant in soil , but use a " layer cake system " ---- put some of your normal compost in the bottom of a pot , and top up with 2to 4mm grit and rest the plant on that , then take a larger tub , eg ex marge carton ,half fill it with 1to 2cm stones and fill with water till the stones are nearly covered , and stand the pot with the Gymno on that . you should find that the roots sniff out the water without exposing the rotten part to water for lengthy periods- you have to remember to check the water level in the tub regularly .If the plant is a valued one I would damage the growing point to obtain offsets once it starts to grow as any rot at the base of a plant is a potential problem.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

"With my Aloes and Haworthias, if something loses its roots, I usually bin it."

Well that's understandable, anybody would throw away Aloe's and Haworthia's at every opportunity Aloenut! :lol:

DaveW :smile:
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

I'd just give it a whirl. If it doesn't work, well you would have at least tried. If it works you get to keep the plant. If it were mine I'd get a puff or two of sulphur powder into the wound then pack it with grit or something light and porous that the roots can find their way through easily without holding too much moisture.

My biggest outdoor trichocereus, a giant 12 ft T. terscehckii, as a thumping great crack down the back of it that extends a good way into the tissue of the plant. Must be 2ft long and 3" or 4" deep and across. The inside has hardened off and gone all woody, never been any hint of rot in 6 or 7 years outdoors.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.