Seed Suppler Needed

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Seed Suppler Needed

Post by Tina »

Hi Frank
what do you buy from Silverhill ?, I had all Cyphostemma & only one seed germinated. I think Bill had Haworthia, not sure of others purchases
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Mal H
BCSS Member
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA

Post by Mal H »

I have had fair success with Koehres this year at ~75% (29/37) of seed species germinating, so they are not all bad, but they were mostly Echinocereus spp. Depends on what you grow I suppose.

The Rowlands are definitely missed as I had virtually 100% success with them for many different spp.

Not being a succulent germinator, just occasional branch meeting purchaser of the plants, I can't contribute to Mark's Q.

But, I wonder, since we are discussing seed suppliers generally does anybody have an opinion on Kaktusy as they have many Echinomastus/Sclerocactus/Pediocactus that I want to try out. Any comments? Or is Mesa the only show in town for an extensive list? Succseed has a smallish list.
Wirral (Chester and District branch) - Collection mostly South American cacti.
Aloenut
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by Aloenut »

Tina,
The genera I usually order from Silverhill are:
Aloe, Dioscorea & Cussonia
With Haworthia, Gasteria and Euphorbia now and then.
When I used to grow bulbs I had tons of stuff from them as well as the more succulent Pelargoniums, and had good germination of that too.
Aloenut
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by Aloenut »

Mal H wrote:I have had fair success with Koehres this year at ~75% (29/37) of seed species germinating, so they are not all bad, but they were mostly Echinocereus spp. Depends on what you grow I suppose.
Just thought I would add, that for me, it wasn't the germination rate of Koehres seed that was the problem. But I ordered a load of Aloe seeds from him, and what came up was definately not what the label said. I have heard from various other people that they had this problem too.
Mal H
BCSS Member
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA

Post by Mal H »

Ouch! my seedlings are mostly too young to distinguish many of them, some are obvious. I am hoping they are what I ordered......
Getting different plants to what you thought you had purchased, Aloenut, must really grate, I sympathise. The germination rate of Koehres does not entice me to buy from them again though.
Wirral (Chester and District branch) - Collection mostly South American cacti.
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Post by IanW »

Succseed is always my number one choice. Partly because they have a selection of species that suits my taste, partly because their online shopping and ordering system is so easy to use, partly because they have decent collector data most the time, but most of all, because they've always given me best germination. I must have ordered about 300 species from succseed and only ever had about 2 fail to germinate at all.

Kohres and Piltz have always been okay for me, but they're a bit more of a pain to order from and I've had a noticably lower success rate- about maybe 5 complete failures in 50 species ordered. That's still a pretty good rate, especially compared to certain other suppliers whose names I wont name, and especially when it could partly have been the species I ordered or my techniques, but still not quite at the high standard I've found from Succseed either way.
lobman
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Journal Team

Post by lobman »

I think that compared to the late 70,s and early 80,s the quality of seed in terms of germination and being pure is much improved ; I recall buying 100 seed portions , and in spite of splitting them into four different sowing attempts still getting nothing up in some cases , and ending up with plants that were obviously open pollinated in others . I have had good results from J Piltz, Succseed, and Ludwig Bercht , indeed I have only often sowed half the packet , as I do not need the 35 plants that come up from a 25 seed portion
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

lobman wrote:I have had good results from J Piltz, Succseed, and Ludwig Bercht
Oh, indeed, Ludwig Bercht (Netherlands) is a seed supplier worthy of mentioning. Visit his website on: http://www.bercht-cactus.nl. Have ordered many times already, and have quite good results. His new list will probably not out until end of November or December, though. So that deserves some waiting. But all the seeds are from plants of his own collection.

Another Dutch supplier is the Dutch BCSS: Succulenta: http://www.succulenta.nl/Download/Zaadlijst.htm. Although one should be a member of Succulenta at first, but first they serf members only. Later on everyone is able to order (and I doubt all will be sold out in the first wave). Lot's and lot's of Lithops with localities. It is in Dutch, though, but I can always help translating. Minimum order is EUR 6.50, though. The person that organises everything can be found on: http://www.succulenta.nl/Instellingen/cliche.htm, so send him a message if you have any questions.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hello Aiko
Ludwig must have a huge collection judging by his seed list.
Is there a seed supplier for Euphorbia's ?? & other succulents
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
JoelR
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIDLINGTON

Post by JoelR »

Tina wrote:Is there a seed supplier for Euphorbia's ?? & other succulents
Good point Tina, I'd like to get hold of Euphorbia Clavariodes seed and I haven't seen it available. being South African, I would have thought Silverhill would have more succulent euphorbia seed and should be a good choice for Lithops etc. Can't say I've had poor results from their seed but delivery took 4 or 5 weeks on both occasions. Only bought Aloes from them to date but I would use them again.

Slightly patchy germination from Koehres also but easy to order from and cheap.

Oh and Mark B - Don't use B & T World seeds. They source seed from the same suppliers and charge more. I have bought Agave & Echinocereus seed from them in the past (when I didn't know any better) and it was OK but probably came from one of the above suppliers, cost more and took an age to arrive.
Joel
West Yorks