In your opinion, which are the 3 worst pests in succulents?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!

Aphids
2%
Fungus/Rot/Damping off
14%
Mealy bugs
26%
Mice
1%
Red spider mite
20%
Root mealy bugs
18%
Scale insects
4%
Sciarid fly
6%
Snails
5%
Western flower thrip
4%

Total votes: 942
Patricia-CR
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Post by Patricia-CR »

Which are the three most annoying destructive pests you have had to fight for in your cactus/succulent collection/nursery?

Mine are (in order from worst to less worst):

1. root mealy bugs
2. red spider mite
3. fungus
Pat :cac2:
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: In your opinion, which are the 3 worst pests in succulen

Post by IanW »

1. Mealy bugs
2. The electricity bill
3. My father looking for things to "borrow" like garden twine out of my greenhouse and knocking plants off the staging in the process
lobman
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Journal Team

Post by lobman »

It probably depends on the one your plants tend to suffer from most , however I have never had much trouble with fungus , and at least with a program of treatment you can have an enclosed collection free of root mealy in a season ; therefore the winner is red spider mite , as it requires constant vigilance to keep it in check . A new wave can surge in at any time , and often hits the tender new growth of plants growing out of a previous infestation .
Pete A
Branch: READING & BASINGSTOKE
Role within the BCSS: Committee member

Post by Pete A »

I would say Red Spider by far. You don't know it's there until you spot a plant that is already badly damaged. Once spotted it requires vigilance to ensure there are no further breakouts.

Mealy is easier to see and damage is usually limited unless you don't spot it for months.

Fungus or viral attacks are the great unknown. I suspect this is what kills most plants in the end but the plant will normally need to be in a weakened state to start off with (perhaps after red spider attack :twisted: ).
Zone 8 Representative (Birmingham, High Wycombe, Kingston-on-Thames, Oxford, Reading & Basingstoke, Woking).
anders
Registered Guest

Post by anders »

1. Fungi, because when you discover it it is usually too late. And they like the cool, damp climate here.
2. (False) spider mites, because they are hard to spot, spread rapidly, disfigure the plants, and are difficult to kill.
3. Root mealy bugs, because they are so good at hiding and difficult to exterminate.
Bill

Post by Bill »

If someone pms or posts me a list of 10 pests I can attach a poll to this thread if you want, I can set it for 3 voting options.

Bill
lobman
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Journal Team

Post by lobman »

I might have trouble coming up with a list of ten pests , Bill , but apart from the obvious frost , I would add sun scorch , and definitely labels that fade ( usually just after you make a note to re -write when you have the time ) and snap so you spend ages looking amongst plants in the theoretical landing zone , often to no avail " I know its an MN Rebutia , but which one ? - - - -- " as sources of obvious frustration ..
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

Hi
It would be
1.RSM
2.Western flower thrip, not had too much trouble with this but it's nasty
3.Scariad fly, I use JI2 & cat litter & still find them around especially in seed trays, even found some lurking in pure cat litter :???:
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Pete A
Branch: READING & BASINGSTOKE
Role within the BCSS: Committee member

Post by Pete A »

I find that Western Flower Thrip only marks the new growth on mesembs. It used to affect my Lithops quite badly until I heard a suggestion that the thrips arrive on the legs of bees. I put plastic mesh over the windows and after treatment, my plants have been thrip free ever since. As everyone else in the area still suffer from the thrips, I think there's a good argument that keeping the bees out was the solution.

It would be good if more people can give this a try and report back in a years' time.
Zone 8 Representative (Birmingham, High Wycombe, Kingston-on-Thames, Oxford, Reading & Basingstoke, Woking).
Patricia-CR
BCSS Member

Post by Patricia-CR »

Bill, thanks for the nice poll!!

Ian, :grin:
Pat :cac2: