In your opinion, which are the 3 worst pests in succulents?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!

In your opinion, which are the 3 worst pests in succulents?

Aphids
2%
Fungus/Rot/Damping off
14%
Mealy bugs
26%
Mice
1%
Red spider mite
20%
Root mealy bugs
18%
Scale insects
4%
Sciarid fly
6%
Snails
5%
Western flower thrip
4%

Total votes: 942
Apicra
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Re: In your opinion, which are the 3 worst pests in succulents?

Post by Apicra »

I think this link was added before, but the RHS provide comprehensive, up-to-date info for downloading about insecticides available to the UK public: https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/pdfs/pest ... deners.pdf

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Caterpillars not on the list?
Cheshire, UK
Pattock
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Pattock »

iann wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:28 pm Caterpillars not on the list?
Neither are humans.
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

iann wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:28 pm Caterpillars not on the list?
They're going up the numbers on my list - Tortrix moth caterpillars are still chewing some of my Aeonium rosettes in the conservatory and I've checked them all more than once!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
steveresz
Registered Guest
Branch: HERNE BAY

Post by steveresz »

My cat Fudge should be mentioned here. A few weeks ago she sneaked into the greenhouse and got locked in overnight. On the plus side, I now have a number of cuttings to root.
Attachments
7CAF0F4A-A01E-4AE0-9B87-2B7C72E7E34C.jpeg
C4FD0458-80F6-48D6-BB9E-8800E9259FA0.jpeg
guthrie
Registered Guest
Branch: GLASGOW

Post by guthrie »

Yes, cats and their tendency to knock plants off shelves or windowsills.

But more seriously, I think although I might have had some red mite, mostly they have died through lack of water or too much, I'm not sure which. I think living in Scotland helps as does not having them near open windows all the time. This is changing though as my girlfriend likes fresh air in the house.
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member
Branch: HAVERING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Cactus Kid »

This year it has been squirrels for me. :sad:

They have been climbing in through the louver vents, knocking over dozens of pots and ripping up the polystyrene sheets that the plants sit on to equalize the temperature on the staging. I have no idea why after all these years they have suddenly decided to do this.

I have resorted to putting aviary wire over the vents but they are very dexterous and have still managed to force their way in, even pushing one of the glass slats out of one vent that was locked shut.

After reinforcing the mesh they seemed to have been thwarted briefly but we will see as the weather gets colder and the vermin more desperate if this still the case.
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!
Davey246
Registered Guest
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Davey246 »

I have just skimmed through this long thread and didn't see what must be there somewhere - vine weevils.
The problem with them is that the first indication that I have had in all cases, is total collapse of plants, which seem to look fine until the very last stand of root is eaten. You get no warning, in my experience.

More than a few years back now, but I had a large clump of Tacitus (Graptopetalum) bellum that flowered well (only after its demise did I see smaller clumps doing well at shows, although that was then, it may have been puny by current standards). That went from perfection to a profusion of unrootable cuttings in what seemed to be hours. I did count the grubs, long since forgotten, but it was a lot - tens.

I am no major fan of leaf succulents, but I do like this plant so was mightily p'd-off.

I suspect that people's pet hate will depend on what plants they particularly like and cultivate. Red spider was the only major pest that I ever saw, which can cause terrible surface damage if missed for long enough.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Davey246 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:59 am ...... You get no warning, in my experience. ......
How true those words. No matter what the pest or pestilence .... you don't know until it's past the point of no return.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

I also note that birds are not on the list - not that I would rate them as a serious pest, but the odd one does get in from time to time.

So far, I have had the following. It's interesting how differently they react, and the seeming degree of intelligence shown.
robin - calmly avoided me, found its own way out when I went to the opposite end to the door
sparrow - went into a panic, knocking things off shelves, with apparently no idea how to get out
pied wagtail - sat very still, let me pick it up and release it the door, when it flew off
wren - saw me coming, hid, and soon found its way out
blue tit - flew up and down a bit, eventually found its way out

Can any birds be trained to eat mealy bugs, I wonder?
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk