In your opinion, which are the 3 worst pests in succulents?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!

In your opinion, which are the 3 worst pests in succulents?

Aphids
2%
Fungus/Rot/Damping off
14%
Mealy bugs
26%
Mice
1%
Red spider mite
20%
Root mealy bugs
18%
Scale insects
4%
Sciarid fly
6%
Snails
5%
Western flower thrip
4%

Total votes: 942
Peter
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: In your opinion, which are the 3 worst pests in succulen

Post by Peter »

I don't think that spraying would help you very much JST. You need to drench the plants and compost with Provado and do it again in around three months.
JST
BCSS Member
Branch: CORNWALL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by JST »

Thanks Peter I'll give it a try. I'd forgotten about vine weevil, though it seemed to be more of a problem with geraniums in pots outside than anything in my greenhouse. Hope I'm not tempting fate here!
BCSS member 49864
Sinningia
Registered Guest

Post by Sinningia »

Tina wrote:3.Scariad fly, I use JI2 & cat litter & still find them around especially in seed trays, even found some lurking in pure cat litter :???:
Tina, what is JI2? And how do you use cat litter against scariad fly?
These nasty buggers are my biggest pest problem. I use yellow sticky tapes all the time and eventhough plenty of flies get caught on them they don't really get any less.
I've also bought some anti gnat stuff for hydro plants, but not sure if I can use it for regular plants. Any experience with this?
Many thanks!
Anna, Hants, UK
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

JI2 is John Innes Number 2 compost. Cat litter (Tesco's low dust lightweight) is something many of us add to our mixes to give it a more open, aerated structure. The JI2 contains organic matter (peat) which is what the flies like. Cat litter isn't used to combat them.

My mix, although different, has enough organic matter to cause problems (in theory) but it dries out for sufficiently long that they don't get a foothold, except for in my pots of seedlings. Top dressing with a grit or gravel really helps. It acts as a physical barrier so that the flies can't reach the soil to lay eggs.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

I've had Vine Weevil for years and still find them occasionally, even though I use Provado twice a year. They're hard to kill as they hide under and between pots during the day and are active at night. They are slow moving and act dead when disturbed. They walk into the greenhouse from the garden in summer while the door is open. The tell tale signs are nibbles out of the young growth on my Adromischus, but if I can't find them I return with a torch after dark and look for them then. If they get chance to lay eggs in the soil the maggots hatch and eat the roots then into the stems. Crassulaceae are certainly their favourite eats and I recall Echeveria growers reporting problems with them years ago.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Lithos
BCSS Member

Post by Lithos »

1 - People with wooly jumpers near anything hook spined
2 - Geraniums
3 - anything else my partner sneaks in there

'Fowlers mealy bug destroyer' used to work a treat, don't know if you can still get it. Gordon Foster at Oak Dene nurseries in Royston, Barnsley used to make it. I was once told the secret ingredient was chilli powder, he reckoned it made them itch, letting the poison in !
Sinningia
Registered Guest

Post by Sinningia »

Many thanks for the answer Phil!
For a second I thought JI2 was some powerful pesticide that would be the solution :wink:
As I mentioned above - my way is to use the yellow sticky tapes. They do catch quite a lot of them plus seeing all those flies sticking to the tapes rather than laying eggs in my planting pots does make me feel better :mrgreen:
Anna, Hants, UK
Lithos
BCSS Member

Post by Lithos »

4 - People with wooly jumpers anywhere near all the hanging sticky yellow fly trap things
Patricia-CR
BCSS Member

Post by Patricia-CR »

Lithos, (tu) (tu) :wink:
Pat :cac2:
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

I found what's been nibbling my Lithops this winter :evil: I think it is a Hawk Moth caterpillar.
Cheshire, UK